What about 37H headlights?

dholck
dholck Expert Adviser
I had these headlights on a 34T way-back-when and was told they were 1936.  Can anybody tell from the picture if they are suitable for 37 Hudson?  I have the pair with bases; looking to unload them and I think there is some interest in the 37H crowd.  Were 36 and 37 the same?  Thanks

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    These do look like '36 or '37 from a distance; the original '34's would have had a larger diameter.  I don't think the '36 and '37 are interchangeable.

The 1936 headlight brackets hooked to the front fenders.  Here's a view of the headlights on a 1936.  Note the brackets or stanchions under the headlights.

The 1937 brackets or stanchions, hooked to the grill shell.  Here's the bracket.  The convex portion (at the top) would require a mating concave depression in the side of the headlight shell.   A large bolt held the light shell to the bracket (through the hole at top) and the mating spherical surfaces permitted swivel adjustment.

• Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor
    I sent you a pm I am interested in your lights.
  • dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    OK - thanks!  My bases look like the 36, so, whoever told me that they're 36s was right.  Oh yes, I am familiar with the factory 34 headlights; I had to find them, chrome them and find a place to remirror the reflectors (my uncle had put small aftermarket sealed beams on it when I got the car).
    Those 36 headlights did look good.  Walt Mordenti had the car at his shop for a few months and noted that everybody who came in commented on the car but nobody ever mentioned the 36 headlights.

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    The swivel ball on the 36 lights protrudes from the bottom of the shell, the mount has the socket.
    The 37 lights have an internal socket on the side, the swivel ball is on the mounting. This can be a pain because that side mount system creates LH and RH headlights.
    37 lenses look very similar to 36 but are about 1/4" bigger.
    36 lights will also fit 34 and 35 bases, these are 36 headlights on a 35
  • Compared to 34