Jay nailed this!

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Agreed!

• 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    I do almost all my own work.  Welding, fabrication, bodywork, paint, assembly etc.  pay for rechroming although can do the prep.  Being a perfectionist helps but is also a hindrance.  The time it takes to accomplish this is huge but I cannot afford to pay for all that.  The materials costs as in paint, thinner, sandpaper, and tools to accomplish a finished project are daunting.  Ultimately it is a feeling of accomplishment.  The people who do this for a living earn every penny
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Jay nailed it again!
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Spot on. On a side note, I met Erik Weihenmayer (the blind climber) at a work event about ten years ago. Amazing story about overcoming adversity. Super nice man.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    I do almost all my own work.  Welding, fabrication, bodywork, paint, assembly etc.  pay for rechroming although can do the prep.  Being a perfectionist helps but is also a hindrance.  The time it takes to accomplish this is huge but I cannot afford to pay for all that.  The materials costs as in paint, thinner, sandpaper, and tools to accomplish a finished project are daunting.  Ultimately it is a feeling of accomplishment.  The people who do this for a living earn every penny
    Same here, except for the re-plating prep and upholstery. Most are rotisserie restorations. 
    Very few people have a clue as to the effort and detail involved,  much less the cost of materials and parts including new rubber trims and such. Then add in the countless hours of research and hunting parts down especially for vehicles like ours. But nothing beats the finished product done properly, it's not just another mustang or camaro.
  • The same for me as I do 90% of the work myself including the upholstery.
    I am on my 3rd restoration which will probably my last(I am 77).
    The thrill is in the finished product when you can stand back and think to myself and say I did that. It is almost a second thrill to finally get to drive it!

Ivan l.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    I agree, Jay nailed it!!!  I have restored from frame up or frame off depending how you want to call it about a dozen cars from the 80's until today.  I do 90 percent of the work myself as well.  My current avtar is my last effort.  I remember when you could do a restoration for around $10,000.  Those days are gone forever.  I put my 54 up for sale this year and there were four responses all along the lines that my  car, at it's best, was worth less than $20,000, or about half of what I have in the car.  I too am 77.  I will keep it and quit building.  I loved the build but now  I guess I will see if I can wear it out before I am forced to quit driving.... 
  • Browniepetersen said:

I guess I will see if I can wear it out before I am forced to quit driving....  
    Great attitude! I just cannot understand why many builders sell the cars they spend so much time and money on!
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    About 15 years ago my father sold one of his 37 Oldsmobile’s, a 4 door with dual fender mounts to a guy who was building a high dollar street rod.  The shop who did the work was in the Midwest & in the end had invested around $200k & it was truly a stunning 2 door in the end, yes 2 door.   A few years later it went to BJ auction in Scottsdale & sold for around $70k.  There are definitely a select group of guys that enjoy the build & subsequently the award or magazine recognition and have the money to do so.  A lot of money & so loosing $100k or more is not an issue, unless they have also figured out a way that the loss benefits them as well!  

Anyway, I think for me as the caretaker of my old cars, I hope I can find someone who cherishes my cars as much as I have and then selling them at a loss really isn’t a loss after all.