Richard Arbib Hudson Styling

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
edited February 2021 in HUDSON
I know that styling is a very subjective and we each find particular automobiles pleasing to the eye, while others not so much.  However, when I look at the disaster of the '56 and '57 Hudsons there is a pretty big target on the front styling.  Although they have grown on me over the years, the choice of Richard Arbib's designs bring to mind the old saying: "What were they thinking?"  It is a shame that the work Frank Spring and company put in on a shoe string budget were never to see a show room.  Likewise, Nash had a concept car designed by Pinin Farina that was magnificent (https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1955-nash-ambassador-pinin-farina-speciale) that could have been a superb winner for both marks.  This is not to say AMC quality and the engineering of the cars were not up to par, but you hate to be the one driving something that looks so out of place.  The only uglier car in the 50s beyond the Hashes were the 1958 Studebaker Packards (boy that really went off the rails due to lack of funds!) 

Comments

• ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    The Nash in the article is at the Rambler Ranch in Elizabeth Colorado. Many of you may remember seeing it when we visited during the National meet in Colorado Springs.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited February 2021
    What were they thinking...picking Romney to be the leader of the company?   Lots of changes driven by....? Desperation?  Most qualified engineering and designers jump ship when the tiller is controlled by the inept.   Sadly those changes also include hiring inept styling replacements...