Front wheel hub and shaft wear 1923 Hudson

In the process of staining my wood wheels I have removed the front wheels.  The first one showed no wear on the shaft but on the left side that is connected to the steering I found wear on the shaft and pieces of metal inside the hub.  The bearings showed no wear but I did find grease outside the inner felt bearing.  I can remove and smooth the metal inside the hub and can smooth the rough area on the shaft. Does anyone have any thoughts on this.  Guess it was good I found it. When removing the wheel nut I found it only hand tight.  Maybe there was play in the wheel and that is what caused the problem in the first place.  See photos.
Robert

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The castellated nut should never be done up tight, only enough to take the play out of the bearings, and then the split pin installed.
  • It was not tight. Do you think I am getting the wear from loose or bad bearings? They seem a little loose in my hand.  Looks like they are easy to replace.  Timkin 315 and 415?
    Robert
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You need to clean them thoroughly, and inspect the inner race of the cone by holding it up to the light and squinting in between the rollers and revolving the bearing so you see the inner race as it turns.   If it is not pitted, and the cups are okay, repack the bearings with grease and tighten the nut until there is no play in the wheel, and no more, then insert the cotter pin.
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Normal to find wear on the stub axle and all bearings. It is 97 years old and previous owners probably placed no importance on maintenance on an old car. Like Bob said, you might like to consider bushing the stub axles and then using other brgs. 
    I believe 1923 didnt have a steering knuckle thrust brg like 1924 to 26 did. 18334.
    Tailshaft uni brgs Toyo K5- 1GB36R. Tailshaft Oring BS342
    Timing cover seal Rawhide 18810
    No guarantee on brg numbers, just what I have read. 
  • This is a real good start on the part numbers.  Anything on finding new timken bearing numbers 315 and 415 for the cone bearings if I want to replace them?
    Robert
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    I've done some googling for you. The 315 bearing (315 cone, 313 cup) is 1.000" ID x  2.8346" OD x .750" thick and the 415 bearing (415 cone, 412 cup) is 1.500" ID x 3.250" OD x 1.375" thick.  The full details are at:-
    https://cad.timken.com/item/all-product-types/tapered-roller-bearings-ts-tapered-single-imperi-2/315-313
    https://cad.timken.com/item/all-product-types/tapered-roller-bearings-ts-tapered-single-imperi-2/415-412
    There is no equivalent of the 315/313 in the current Timken data sheets, the closest is the HM88630/HM88610, I'll leave you to check other brands.
    The HM801346/HM801310 has the same ID and OD as the 415/412 but is a little narrower. The info comes from here.
    https://www.timken.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Timken-Tapered-Roller-Bearing-Catalog.pdf
  • Thank you for all the great info on the bearings.  It will really help me.
    Think I found 2 415's on ebay.  Still looking for the 315.
    Robert