1938 Hudson CountryClub Rheostat

2manyprojects
2manyprojects Expert Adviser
looking for looking for the rheostat in the pics. I can use my knob, this is different than a stepdown, this is for dimming the dash lights not the heater.  Thanks

Comments

• 2manyprojects
    i have just learned  that this is indeed for the heater NOT the dash lights. still need one. it mounts on the bottom lip of the dash left of the ignition switch. 37,38,39 and maybe more years the same. thanks
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    jjbubaboy thats should work fine for what he needs
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited February 2021
    I think the switch you're looking for, will look something like this:

They're fairly common at antique car flea markets and you can still find them NOS, in the box, on Ebay.  That clamp with the bolt in it, can be removed -- it's just held by that thin hex nut behind the plastic knob.  I think that (as you say) it fitted through a factory-punched hole in the bottom lip of the dashboard, to the right of the steering column.  The knob faces down.  (I guess the Hudson engineers considered heaters a frivolous option, and the switch position was a last-minute decision.)  There are versions with dark plastic knobs but they don't have lights built in.  The mounting hole that's punched in the dash lip, has one or two notches in it, matching the notches in the threaded shaft of the switch.  (That way, the switch won't rotate when you turn the knob.)  

I removed some original defroster nozzles off a '37 parts car many years ago, and assumed that the heater components must have been factory-installed.  (Generally, when people install their own aftermarket heaters they don't go to the trouble of finding genuine Hudson defroster nozzles.)  So, when I saw a similar switch mounted in the dash lower lip, I assumed that must have been "factory" as well.  (I tried in vain to unscrew the nut and remove the switch, to my great sorrow.)

As I recall, the shape of the plastic knob on the parts car matched that of the one in this picture.
  • On that kind of switch the knob pulls of and there is a bulb inside to illuminate the switch when it is on.
  • 2manyprojects
    yes there is a bulb