1950 Commodore 6 FS by Studebaker Museum

Comments

• Beautifull car. The listing suggests that a bad head gasket is the source of a coolant l leak into the crankcase, but how can that be with a flathead? Perhaps the block is cracked internally?

"Mechanical:  The car is currently not running due what is believed to be a blown head gasket.  Approximately 20 quarts of oil/coolant mixture were drained from the crankcase (normal capacity 7.5 quarts.)  After draining coolant, system was refilled and monitored for leakage.  A couple ounces of coolant made its way to the oil pan over the span of one week.  Engine is free and turns over by hand. New head gasket included with sale."
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Sounds like they are pushing the bad head gasket idea pretty hard.  I’m no expert on the coolant & oil together so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in.....
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited February 2021
    Could be but also could be a cracked block?  If you have spare engine this would be a great buy.  However it does look like an aluminum head so I guess I might tend to go with the head gasket.
  • Looks like the whole engine was painted silver, rust showing thru, not the stock color.
  • 50C8DAN
    As far as I know silver is the correct 1950 engine color.  
  • BigSky
    I’m not seeing any signs the head is aluminum.  Anyone know how to tell? 
  • 50C8DAN
    On closer look it does look like an iron head.  Rust is a give away for sure.  My eight aluminum has rounded corners and edges, the cast iron has somewhat more sharp features and not does not have as smooth of a surface.
  • BigSky
    Seems odd to me they wouldn’t fix a head gasket, it’s such a basic thing.  I’m leaning towards it being a crack block “20 quarts of fluid out of an oil change”!
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited February 2021
    Without any knowledge of this car... and very speculative observation of the pictures... I am saying this is a GRAND opportunity for a person with a hankering for a nice STEPDOWN Hudson to get a great car!   Without a doubt there is something wrong with the coolant sealing in the engine... what ever it is should NOT stop a buyer from scarfing up this beauty.  The costs to acquire and install a replacement engine are nominal.. but even then adding those costs to a reasonable final bid will result in a driving car that can not be replicated for $20K. If I were looking for a Stepdown this would be near the top of my reasonable cost candidates.   Bid on..... 

• It must have been donated to the museum. I would expect that the car needs a complete going thru to be roadworthy, it may have sat for a long time. With old coolant in the crankcase, the bores, valve seats, crank journals could be pitted. Perhaps the mechanical work is a lot easier to deal with than body and interior restoration.
  • BigSky
    $20k.....?   No offense but it’s a 4 door sedan and they will only ever be worth a fraction of a 2 door or a convertible for that matter.... maybe it’s $10 to the right person.  

Don’t forget one is taking a huge risk that there isn’t a shirt-load of problem along with a possible engine, which are not “nominal” to rebuild.  If you think it’s worth $20k & repairs are nominal.... jump on it!
  • Should say skirt load of problems. At least it looks pretty.
  • 2manyprojects
    2manyprojects Expert Adviser
    10k is a little light. have seen similar sedans selling in the 15-19 range
  • Bidding is up to $7100.00 it could end up fetching 10k.
  • You can't  have one painted and upholstered for that...
  • 2-3K just for the interior clothwork I can imagine. I was lucky to find a car with a good interior.
  • My guess is that it needs an engine due to a cracked block.
  • 2manyprojects
    stude club just posted they removed fender skirt there is foam where part of the frame was. they will send pics per request.
  • 2manyprojects
    THEY SENT ME A PIC LOOKS LIKE A LOT OF FOAM WHERE THE METAL ONCE WAS FORMING THE FRAME RAIL.
  • stude club just posted they removed fender skirt there is foam where part of the frame was. they will send pics per request.
     :o. Yikes...
  • 2manyprojects
    glad i was waiting to bid till the very end. i have 2 motors for it.
  • I was wondering about the rust poking through the black underbody paint in a couple of shots. I wonder what it looked like before they sprayed the undercarriage.
  • Bidding is up to 8300.00. Bidders beware!
  • 50C8DAN
    Where are the photos posted?
  • 2manyprojects
    i sent a request thru the ad on ebay and received the pic. i was going to bid last minute on monday but not now. 
  • 50C8DAN
    I also contacted the seller and the foam appears to be a space filler not something subing for a structural component.  
  • 2manyprojects
    looks like they cut off rusty lower quarter replaced with the foam against the structure then bondo over the top of the foam. could be on both sides.
  • 50C8DAN
    I would be more worried if the perimeter frame area in the rear was rusted through.  If the frame (what there is) is intact and not weakened a quarter panel can be dealt with.  Not saying it would be cheap, but not a money pit either.
  • 2manyprojects
    at the current price of 8500.00 plus motor, brakes, fuel system, finding at least one quarter maybe two. then removing rear seats , removing quarters . getting new sheet metal painted if you can match the paint and blending into the doors. you have a sedan that is worth maybe 12k to 15k. just too much work for no gain better off finding a nicer car, and its still not a coupe or convertible.
  • Went for $10,150.

I hope it turns out to be as good as it looked.