1948 Coupe Wheel Seal Cross Reference

hudshornet
hudshornet Expert Adviser
I am hoping y’all can help me with this issue.  I have a 1948 Coupe that I am going with the Scarebird brake setup.  I wanted to replace the wheel seals and I cannot find one that is listed for the 48’s.  I can find the wheel seal for a later step down PN 471831.  It is a thicker seal but I haven’t tried fitting it yet.  Does anyone know if this will interchange or have a source for one?  Thanks 

Comments

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Front wheel seals are the same item 48 to 54. Seals thicker then the original will appear to fit but won't stay in place. 
  • hudshornet
    Okay, thanks Mr Ward.  Anyone have an idea what the correct seal is?  The one that is listed has a thicker metal body
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    A National #6507 or Standard 48-182 at .262 thickness is my measurement on a  Standard brands set I have (have to keep it for my Hudsons so not for sale) - can provide other dimensions if needed. National catalog list them for front wheel Hudson 1941-54.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    This is the TCM version of the seal. Bought from Amazon, last time I looked there was none in stock.

• hudshornet
    Okay so purchased it he seals that were referenced and I’m a little confused.  Now I may be overthinking it but here goes:

When I compare the old seal to the new ones I can’t get the new one to slide on as far.  

It looks like it’s about an 1/8 of difference.  Is that right?  Also in the last picture the rubber lip rides right up against the bearing is that okay?

I can clearly see the difference when comparing them visually.  The seal just barely rides on the sealing surface.  Any ideas?  Am I just overthinking this?  I really want to get this thing on the road so I appreciate the help.

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    My list has 
    Seals, Front Wheel TCM 156252 36-54 x Jet Chicago Rawhide CR15649

National 6407

NAPA 16246