Air shocks for stepdown

I have a '53 Hornet that, despite having had new springs and shocks installed a couple of years ago, has tendency to hit the rear axle rubber stops when fully loaded. I have been searching the internet to find air shocks that would fit, to help in these situations. Haven't been successfull but I guess someone must have don this before, so any ideas where to look for?

Comments

• Thanks, that one really is a fabulous Hornet. Got the information needed, Monroe MA7277 it is.
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited January 2021
    Tks, Ken, for sharing and Petri for the roses; BTW, Petri, I see you looked at the remote brake fluid resv. earlier; that also is great.
    Something You might want to check: I am showing a number for that Shock as MA727>
    You might have hit the last '7' twice, but wanted to note that for checking purposes.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    A downside of airshocks is that the some of the load normally carried by the springs is now transferred to the shock mounts, an extra load the mounts weren't designed for. This may or may not in the long term cause fatigue problems in the shock mount, depends on miles travelled, how much extra load, road conditions etc. YMMV
  • Richard, you're right it's MA727, a typing error I made. Already ordered a set of these from Rockauto, 97$ delivered to Finland, not too bad in my opinion.
    Thanks Bob for the advice, I intend to use low pressure in normal conditions in order to avoid the strain to shock mounts. Only when some more load carrying capacity is needed higher pressure will be in order.
    I've had similar setup in my '60 Plymouth Fury for years and have used this practice without so far any damage.
  • I purchased a differential for my 48 club coupe. This rear end was in a car that actually had coil springs installed between the differential and the frame. That owner used his car to haul things, as well as pull a boat. I know the story on this rear end because the yard that I purchased it from had installed a differential in the car. He showed me the hitch on that car in a picture form, before and after the differential change.
  • One thing about air shocks, the car will handle better if use separate air lines to fill each shock. One air line for both can have interesting handling characteristics due to the compressed shock air going to the other, causing excessive lean