building an GM HEI for a Hudson 308

Several have asked me how I built a GM HEI for my 308. I used a GM inline 6 cylinder HEI. I then dismantled a spare V8 HEI that I had. I changes out the pole/weight, curve kit on my V8 shaft for the one on the 6 cylinder pole/ weight curve kit. I had a machinist do the cutting and welding on the 6 cylinder housing. Here are the pictures of the end result of my experiment.
I had my machinist also machine the lower half of my new distributor shaft, for clearance on the crank shaft to. My new distributor is an exact match in length, in length and tang offset to fit into the oil pump in only one way, just like the Hudson distributor does.

Comments

• LHudson
    LHudson Expert Adviser
    Saw one a few years ago at a show. The guy used the housing for a Vega hei . It is already shortened an does not have to be cut.  Thought about doing it but never got around to it. Petronix was so much easier.   Hope this helps.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Finding a VEGA Hei would be a trick these days.  I see more Hudsons than Vegas!  Even a Chev I6 is rare anymore.
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    they are reproducing the GM inline six hei distributor for AMC’s and Jeep 6 cylinders on eBay. They are everywhere.
  • It takes the l6 Chevy distriburor housing and the shaft from  V8 Chevy. Used work the best. They are a lot cheaper.
  • The l6 distributor shaft that goes in the block is the same exact size as the Hudson distributor. I used both a digital mic as well as my 0 to 1 inch mic or it was my 1 to 2 inch mic to verify the diamater of that part of the housing
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited January 2021
    The GM H.E.I. 6 cyl  distributor is a nice update. Ive built a couple and Ron Fellows, the Clutch Guy was making adaptors earlier. I believe Dan Fullerton (HUD) has made them too.
  • Ol racer said:
    The GM H.E.I. 6 cyl  distributor is a nice update. Ive built a couple and Ron Fellows, the Clutch Guy was making adaptors earlier. I believe Dan Fullerton (HUD) has made them too.
    I’ve made a couple of them as well