remove wheel

i tried almost everything to remove right rear wheel to check brakes, wd40 and other snake oil products to loosen it up ,
tried a oversize nut that i paid like 35$ for but the threads were wrong to use a pulley puller so i returned that,
while having a beer in front of wood stove i had a brain wave....... i have a complete spare drivetrain... so why not take a spare hubcap ,drill a hole in center of it and use the cap as a puller, worked like a dream... and still have 3 good caps left... and the HOLY one is part of tool collection...

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited December 2020
    Are you speaking of removing the BRAKE DRUMS?  

If so, see Ken Cates' instructions at his StepDown website: https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/Brakes.htm

On the left side of the page, click on "Removing rear drums -- StepDown".

Remember, do NOT remove the axle nut entirely, before pulling the drums.  Loosen it slightly (1/4" maybe?) so that -- when the drum breaks away -- it is stopped by the axle nut before it hits you!

• This thread has a picture of the hub puller:

An impact wrench can be used instead of the "dog bone."
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    And yes, there’s a jack stand under the axle
  • You can always use an air or electric impact gun on the large but of that puller, quicker and easier than a hammer 
  • Jon B said:
    Are you speaking of removing the BRAKE DRUMS?  

If so, see Ken Cates' instructions at his StepDown website: https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/Brakes.htm

On the left side of the page, click on "Removing rear drums -- StepDown".

Remember, do NOT remove the axle nut entirely, before pulling the drums.  Loosen it slightly (1/4" maybe?) so that -- when the drum breaks away -- it is stopped by the axle nut before it hits you!

no just to remove the whole wheel from the tapered spindle... i got it off using a puller and will be applying never seize on that puppy....  the brake drum is attatched to the spoked wheel 

• It looks like we all assumed you were working on something much newer.
  • Marius I don’t think you want to put anything on that tapered axe as far as lube/ anti seize, the taper is a interference fit and you will be more prone to shear off the key

just my opinion 
  • thank you, it was a thought and apparently not a good idea... thank you for your wizdom