Screen for Gas Tank Pick Up Tube

Has anyone found a good option for adding a screen (sock) to a gas tank pick up tube?  The od of my tube is 5/16 (.313).  

Comments

• On my '40, I wrapped a piece of metal screen from a screen door. I left it about inches too long, and sewed up the end of it with stainless safety wire. I secures it to the pickup tube with the .032 safety wire as well. This was done in 1999. No issues yet.
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    edited December 2020
    I used a in line filter on my truck it has a new tank so i dont worry about any thing in the tank  its a see thru filter also
  • I have an inline filter as well, but someone in the past sealed my tank, and it was peeling off and clogging the lines, so that's why I added the sock.
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Smart choice never hurts to have extra protection  
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    If you use a 3 step tank sealer, the sealer will block up the original brass gauze filter soldered on the bottom of the tank. The pick up tube is often damaged where it enters this filter body. No problem if the new pick up tube doesnt go into the original filter just use a disposable inline filter.
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    I like the safety wire idea to hold screen on the tube.  I have an inline filter that I’ll be installing.  

Primarily I’m trying to keep anything big from getting lodged in the pickup tube from the crappy tank liner done by Gas Tank Renu.   They wouldn’t stand behind their “Lifetime Warranty”, thus just looking to make it work as best I can with what I’ve got. 

• Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    BigSky said:
    I like the safety wire idea to hold screen on the tube.  I have an inline filter that I’ll be installing.  

Primarily I’m trying to keep anything big from getting lodged in the pickup tube from the crappy tank liner done by Gas Tank Renu.   They wouldn’t stand behind their “Lifetime Warranty”, thus just looking to make it work as best I can with what I’ve got. 

Yuck !
    I'm glad I got a guy at a steel fabrication shop to make me a stainless tank "on the night shift ".
  • BigSky
    edited December 2020
    Yeah, I learned my lesson about tank sealers & so called lifetime warranties, both are big piles of bull sh-t!
  • Have used sealers for years and never had a problem.

• I started using Caswell epoxy tank sealer after I found that Kreme became low quality.
  • BigSky
    edited December 2020
    I never knew I had a problem until I dropped the tank to clean it.  Just because it hasn’t bit you in the arse, doesn’t mean it’s not about to bite!