Exhaust Flange Fun

So, I thought I'd see what you all have in your bag-o-tricks for getting exhaust flange gaskets to actually seal. I'm fighting with one on the exhaust downpipe on a 308. After cleaning up both mating surfaces with sandpaper, I've tried a new gasket, tried coating it with anti-seize, and various torque amounts (I've yet to actually find a specific torque spec on these). I'm curious what others have done to get these things to seat.

Comments

• The muffler shop I use recommends the Remflex 31-001 gasket to seal stubborn problems.   The gasket isn't cheap, but it works well.
  • Hmm. It looks like that is that part number is for the manifold to block. PN 8014 looks like a 2" universal for the manifold to down-pipe. 
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    edited December 2020
    I would consider using permatex Optimum on both sides of the gasket if you continue to have trouble.  I used the Ultra (lower temp) on exhaust manifold gaskets per Doug Wildrick’s recommendation with great success.

• Cool. Thanks! It's certainly worth a shot. 
  • The Permatex solution seems to have worked. It takes forever to fully cure, but seems to be worth the few bucks and dry time. ?