What is length of transmission operating rod on a ‘47 pickup?

Does anyone know what the proper length is for the transmission operating rod on a ‘47 pickup?The shop manual says in order to adjust the length to have both the shifter (Handy Shift in Hudsonese) lever and the transmission in neutral and adjust the clevis on the steering column end until it “will drop into the control lever tube lower lever”

My problem is that I cannot downshift into 2nd gear, and when that happens I can’t get back into 3rd either, so I pretty much have to come to a stop, get it in 1st and start again.

I recognize that part of this is no doubt driving technique. I have tried to double-clutch to make the downshift, but that has not worked. I have not yet tried to match engine RPM like I might with a big truck (In the big rigs I used to drive the clutch was never used except to get started rolling from a stop)

I’ve had the engine and transmission out and back in a couple of times this year.  I have a couple of these transmission control rods and they are different lengths and I’m not sure which one I used. It might not matter. I was having this problem before I took things apart.

In any case I’m really just looking for a starting point.

Thanks. Tom