How FAST is your Hudson?

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
The other week as a few buddies were at El Mirage doing land speed racing, I had a beautiful 60 degree day here in Big Sky country.  Since all the new rings had seated plus she had over 500 miles on her I got the bug to see just how well she was running.  So my goal was to hit a conservative goal of 90 mph (3750rpm).   Here is the video & if you listen you can hear the clutch slipping multiple times as I coaxed her up to speed.

Comments

• ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Impressive. I had no idea a 212 would go that fast.
  • schillaz
    schillaz Expert Adviser
    Nice Work!  stretching those legs out on the open road. 
  • My 41 coupe (Hornet powered) runs 14.60's at 93MPH in the quarter.
  • That's GREAT! My 39 with a 212 has never been over 65 since I have owned her. HHHMMMMM........I wonder ; }
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    What rear end ratio are you running?
  • 54 Coupe, what do you have going on in that 308 I need to know about for my 308 build??? Do tell
  • BigSky
    Geoff, I have a Ford rear end with 3.45 gears.  
  • BigSky
    I have no idea what the max RPM is for the 212ci engine but the procedural manual says max HP is at 4000 rpm.  At 4000rpm it would put the speed at 97.6mph & if she could get to 4100rpm I’d hit 100.05mph!  That would be crazy fast for this old girl!
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    Well the ‘37 Hudson Six averaged 87mph for 24 hours at the salt lake, including stops. So the actual speed underway was higher than that. I seem to remember the axle ratio was taller than 4.1, maybe 3.9? Thats an outstanding result.
  • 54 Coupe, what do you have going on in that 308 I need to know about for my 308 build??? Do tell
    5” stroke, 1/16 overbore, bigger valves, relieved block, Isky cam, headers, electronic ignition, two Holley 2300 series 2bbl carbs, Chevy Fluidamper harmonic balancer, block ported to match the intake /exhaust gasket, stronger valve springs, torque flute trans with 2800 stall converter, 9” Ford with 3.56 gears.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    Just beware...
    I used to have a spare block given to me by a Railton owner. 
    I had to give it back to him after he put a con rod through the side of his engine while trying to find out how fast his Railton would go... pushing 90 mph and then BANG !!!  :s
  • Just beware...
    I used to have a spare block given to me by a Railton owner. 
    I had to give it back to him after he put a con rod through the side of his engine while trying to find out how fast his Railton would go... pushing 90 mph and then BANG !!!  :s
    I think they'll all do 90, once. His 3.45:1 rear end ratio makes it a much safer endeavor than a factory ratio.
  • 54coupe said:
    54 Coupe, what do you have going on in that 308 I need to know about for my 308 build??? Do tell
    5” stroke, 1/16 overbore, bigger valves, relieved block, Isky cam, headers, electronic ignition, two Holley 2300 series 2bbl carbs, Chevy Fluidamper harmonic balancer, block ported to match the intake /exhaust gasket, stronger valve springs, torque flute trans with 2800 stall converter, 9” Ford with 3.56 gears.

Oh, and a special Clifford head with 65cc chambers, for an 11.25:1 compression ratio.
  • Sounds like the engine build my dad did back in the 70s. It was a full house Clifford build. Used 440 rods, 5” stroke big 327 valves Mallory dual point and long tube headers with a single 850 Holley w a D&F built hydro. That thing was nasty, and I want to replicate that. It was around 413ci. 
  • Sounds like the engine build my dad did back in the 70s. It was a full house Clifford build. Used 440 rods, 5” stroke big 327 valves Mallory dual point and long tube headers with a single 850 Holley w a D&F built hydro. That thing was nasty, and I want to replicate that. It was around 413ci. 
    Wow... with a 5" stroke, you would need a bore of 4.1875 (4-3/16). I've never heard of anyone going bigger than 4".
  • I have the specs somewhere, in his old notebook that I’ll check on. 
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    I ran my 1952 Hudson Hornet Sedan at Bonneville Salt Flats at 122.683 (average of two passes.) back in the late 90's. I have been clocked at 134 in my 1954 Hudson Hornet Special Coupe on the way to the Salt Flats--that is what the Utah Highway Patrol said.  This is the same car that won at Irwindale drag strip (California) back in the 60's.
  • BigSky
    Brownie, that’s an awesome story!  However is there more to your discussion with the Utah Highway Patrolman? I’m curious if you were able to get out of that one!!!
  • At 134, I'm guessing he didn't talk his way out of that one..... Especially in Utah.