Forum procedures

40indianssgmailcom
40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
not a complaint but a question about efficiency. Is it possible to modify the workings of the forum so that when tapping in to see a discussion the last entry comes up immediately?  On another forum I can go directly to the most recent comment. This saves having to scroll through many comments and or photos which have already been read. I don't know how much work it would be to modify the system to accomplish this but it would seem to be more efficient. A new viewer would continue to begin with the first post if that is their choice. Thanks for the work that makes this forum available 

Comments

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    I'll have a look. We are somewhat prescribed by the software we use but I'll see what can be done.

Good suggestion by the way!
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    I use the forum on Firefox, and if I open a thread I have already looked at, it will go to to the last comment, just like you are suggesting. I do not have to scroll through all of the comments to get to the new ones. I also am always logged in.
  • If you hit "recent discussions" under categories, it does what you are asking.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    I am in recent discussions on an iPad and it does not jump directly to the most recent comment bypassing all the previous comments which I have to scroll through to get to the most recent posting. 
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Some browsers will remember where you last were so if you have been following a discussion and then re-open it they will jump to the last known place.

This forum software is designed to show the comments in a linear fashion based on the date they were posted so if you open a discussion for the first time that is what you get.

I can change it such the the original comment appears at the top and then all the subsequent comments arranged such that newest first appears underneath but , to be frankly honest, given the grief I got when i tried to bring this thing up to date last time I'm loath to do it.

"Recent Discussions" gives you a list of all the recent discussions , it doesn't arrange the comments within those discussions in any order other than date arrived.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    I understand your reluctance and the effort involved. Thanks for considering