Differential Gasket Material

Does anyone have recommendations for a gasket material for my differential cover on a 55 Wasp? Cork or other? I could check with NAPA but would like to know what others have used. Also, is Permatex Ultra a good sealant to use with the gasket?

Comments

• I found a gasket a NAPA, in stock!
  • That's slightly amazing, really. Is it cork or synthetic?
  • I havent picked it up yet, tonight. I was suprised that they had it in stock. Its a Felpro. They also list Echlin ignition parts too, they take a day to get in. The website is pretty good, tells you availability, price, mfg of parts, just set your car up in the site for easy part searches.
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    Have you looked at Rockauto.com?

/
    VICTOR REINZ 711481100 Info
    Cover Gasket; Rear; Rear; Spicer 44; 10 Bolt; with 8.500 IN Ring Gear
    Part image
    $2.11
    FEL-PRO RDS6629 {#C7TZ4036B} Info
    Axle Housing Gasket; Rear; 10-bolt holes; Spicer 44; 8.5" R.G.
    Part image
    $3.40
    Part image
  • The gasket isnt correct. 
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor

What is incorrect?   part number or generic picture?
  • Supercub, looks like you have an AMC axle not a Dana Spicer 44 axle. 
  • Supercub, looks like you have an AMC axle not a Dana Spicer 44 axle. 
    Isn’t that what a 55 should have?
  • The number 6629 is right but the shape is wrong, its as Hans's pic. My cover is oval shape with symmetrical bolt pattern. I tried to explain this to the guy on the phone, he said it wasnt bumped out. Its better to bring your parts in to the store to verify if correct I know but most times its just not feasable and I dont like to leave things dissasembled.
    I found a big piece of .03 amaraid gasket material that I use on my bike stuff, its the same thicness as the NAPA gasket, I will just make one from that. Not much waste as I can use the inner cutout for my bike stuff which is usually small.
  • I got most of the dent out of the cover flange, enough so I can get a thin wall socket on the bolt. I will make sure I can get the fill plug loose before I remove the cover. The clamp on the gas line is because I sprung a gas leak around the fuel pump area. I have to crawl under today and see whats going on.
  • Yeah a sheet of gasket material should do the trick, I use that light blue thick paper for things like that. 
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    I’d use the “Right Stuff” on it & did on my rear end.  I’ve never had good luck with gaskets sealing well on my Hudson engine but once I add a touch of the “right stuff”, no more leaks!
  • This is gaskwt matl is light blue, gas and oil resist, I use it for carb gaskets amaraid is the best for gas and oil resist. I have a tube of permatex ultra, Ive used it on oil pans and it held up great. Just a flash coat to be sure it seals, being a sheetmetal cover. I have some straightening to to on it, I have a big piece of ceramic glass to check it on for flatness. I have it draining now, stinks like mad. Must be the original lube. 
  • I found a ton of SAE80-90W gear oil, it specs for hypoid gears, is this compatible with SAE90 that the manual calls out?
  • My freshly painted cover installed for restored look.
  • Well, dang. Now you're gonna have to paint the axle...  :D
  • I think I will paint the whole underneath to protect it.