radio antenna for under the running board

2manyprojects
2manyprojects Expert Adviser
for 1938 country club  need a source where to buy. thank you

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I suspect you're going to have to improvise, as I did many years ago on my '37.  In 1937, the antenna consisted of a cable looped fore-and-aft between steel brackets mounted to the underside of both runningboards.  Possibly it had changed to something less primitive in 1938.  
  • Don't bother trying to create one... Impossible to find and waste of time trying to make one... Just buy a hidden modern antenna from ebay for about $12 they are about 10 inches long in the shape of a metal cylinder fitting under the car anywhere. Cheers ken 

Use search

"Hidden Antenna Radio Stereo AM FM Stealth for Vehicle Car Truck Motorcycle" 
  • 2manyprojects
    i looked at the ones on ebay they seem to be for 12 volt not 6 volt.
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    I would have thought an aerial was an aerial 12 or six volt what is the difference or am I wrong
  • 2manyprojects
    I WAS WONDERING LIKE YOU IF THE ANTENNA CARES IF ITS 6 VOLT OR 12
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    Antenna doesn't care !
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    Unfortunately the old wire coat hangers are difficult to find  now. Haha
  • I have the brackets under the running boards of my 39 for that type antennae, I went to Autozone and bought a modern rubber type thats 14inches long and mounted it under my running board. Works ok and with Redi rad does  very well. If you want an original type you will have to make it. I do have the directions on how to do so from Steve Engle if you want.   
  • 2manyprojects
    val the directions would be great. thanks
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    I still got an original one under the running board on my 38.  It look a little rough though
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Val, this "modern rubber type" (antenna?) -- does it have the standard antenna connector to plug into "our" old tube-type 6-volt radios?   I realize you have a redi-rad, but do you have cause to think that this modern gizmo would make our old superheterodynes actually receive any radio stations?
  • I have an adapter that goes into my radio and the other end is the female end like a modern cord and I have a long (modern type) antennae cable that runs out and under my running board and connect to the antennae. I worked ok before I connected the redi rad. But keep in mind its an AM only radio and not much on that dial at least here in STL. I do get about 4 stations. A longer antennae would help but for what I use it for with my redi rad it does very well