Towing My Hudson with a 308 and a 700R Trans!

VicTor Z
VicTor Z Senior Contributor
Do I have to disconnect the drive shaft to tow for short distances, 25-30 miles?

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Vic...a short Internet check and although I found only opinions; the majority proclaim you should pull the drive shaft.  Another opinion ( mine) put it on a trailer...(NEVER TOW DOLLEY) a rented trailer and truck are cheap insurance for keeping the car and mechanics from damage is the goal.  Your friend in Texas. 
  • schillaz
    schillaz Expert Adviser
    I would pull it to be safe either way as to not risk a chance of any damage. I believe its because the pump not running in the trans when being pulled ??????

Also if you are using a tow dolly I have heard of the fenders on the dolly getting into the fenders or the doors of the vehicle being towed if one turns too sharp. So be careful of that.

• You might be able to disconnect it from rear end and then use a strap or wire to tie it out of the way. That way the driveshaft stay in the transmission and you don’t loose any fluid while the shaft is out. But yes if not putting on a trailer, disconnect the shaft. 
  • Ditto on the tow dolly warning. They are too narrow for stepdowns and will smack the fenders against the body in tight turns.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Put it on a tilt tray. Pay the money, be safe.
  • VicTor Z
    Thanks for the info/help. What happens if I tow for a few miles, does it harm the 700R Trans?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    No Flat towing brother❗️
  • VicTor Z said:
    Thanks for the info/help. What happens if I tow for a few miles, does it harm the 700R Trans?
    It could. It’s best to disconnect the driveshaft.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Do NOT tow with driveshaft installed with a Turbo Trans. It will be rotating internally with no lubrication ......….The old Hydro's had a front pump so you could tow or push start the car but Not the GM Turbo's
  • super-six
    super-six Expert Adviser
    I would be surprised if GM wouldn't have information on this.

• VicTor Z
    Thanks AGAIN for your help.