1951 coupe rebuild project

2»

Comments

• jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    Yes, that eastwood flare tool is amazing and works great!

• schillaz
    schillaz Expert Adviser
    I am going to take my front brake drums in to get turned.  (1951 pacemaker) They have some pretty deep grooves and I don't see any stamping on them for a maximum drum diameter. 

Usually drums are stamped 0.060 over original so would 9.060 be recommended for maximum?

Thanks in advance.
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    Nice build.  Keep the pictures coming.  :)
  • schillaz
    schillaz Expert Adviser
    I finally have the rear end rebuilt and ready to stab back in. New rubber bushings and leaf spring pads (thanks to WRP) and Brake parts, seals, & bearings (thanks to Lance).

Founds some rubber undercoating I sprayed underneath and in the trunk area. 

• Looks great so far. It's about as "frame up" as you can get with a Hudson restoration.
  • I have new door screws- 8 per hinge. They are Allen head instead of the traditional Phillips head but the pitch is correct. Let me know if you need any...
    I have a 49 Commodore Coupe.  Will your screws fit?

• schillaz
    schillaz Expert Adviser
    Well I took 2 years off of this project.......I better start on it before the weather turns and I cant sandblast and paint outside here in the North.   How time flies!

I am using Eastwoods 2k chassis paint. The nozzle is actually pretty decent.

• schillaz
    schillaz Expert Adviser
    I was able to source a rebuilt ready to run 308 from a good friend of mine. I have a twin H intake I will put on and I'm not sure what head I will run. I have some options: The new vortex head, this alum head, a 262 or just the standard 308 iron head???

• ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    I just received my new Vortex head today. Looking forward to putting it on this winter.
  • I used Eastwoods 2k paint as well too.  Was happy with the results. 
  • schillaz
    schillaz Expert Adviser
    Yes, it was a manual car so I will keep it a manual. I don't think it was an OD car but the trans I will install will be OD because its so much nicer to drive with today's hwy speeds.

I'm sure I have some other cars that I can take pictures for you. Just let me know exactly what you are needing in a PM and I will send you the pictures.
  • schillaz
    schillaz Expert Adviser

Between the kids deer hunting and cold weather I was able to find a day to reinstall the front passenger suspension. It's a fun experience trying to get the spring compressed without an engine in the chassis.

Now to replace the kingpins an bushings and sandblast/paint the drivers side front suspension so it's ready to install next.

Hopefully the weather holds. 40 degrees all week so I have a chance. Haha

• schillaz
    schillaz Expert Adviser

I was able to get the drivers side suspension done today along with the backing plates/brakes and front stabilizer bar. I still need to sandblast the drums and knock some new bearing races in and paint. (tomorrows project).

Next I will start the disassembly and rebuilding of the steering column components.

• schillaz
    schillaz Expert Adviser

Cleaned, Sandblasted, painted and ready for re-assembly. Trying to keep track of all those spacers is fun!

• Nice work! I notice you installed new sway bar links and bushings. Where did you get them?

• schillaz
    schillaz Expert Adviser

Wildrick sells a lot of these rubber parts. They have the stabilizer bar mount to frame along with the stabilizer end links.

• drivergo2
    drivergo2 Expert Adviser

Your doing some great work ,Thanks for the pics. Shows it can be done without taking it to a shop .

• schillaz
    schillaz Expert Adviser

Replaced the seal on the steering gearbox and painted the column. My 11 year old son helped me get it installed the other day. Also installed the center steering link, pitman and tie rods.

Finished replacing carrier bearing and u-joints. Ready to install.

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser

Thanks for sharing. Having your son help is a wonderful thing for you and him to experience. I have six sons some of which were interested in the Hudsons and others were not. Today the lessons learned turning wrenches serve those adult sons who helped on the Hudsons. The others pay someone else to keep their vehicles maintained.