Sticky Lifter...Fact? orUse of X mission fluid in the engine oil...Fact or Fiction

I have a vehicle with a 454 cid that (sometimes) when starting and at idle  makes that click click click and sometimes smokes a little on that same side exhaust.  The truck was in storage for several years without being started but did not show these signs when last run prior to sitting.  It does seem to lesson on rpm increase and goes away at back to idle and sometimes does not.  I have not taken it on the road at speed to see if it changes. Extended idle at full operating temp is kind of that same random weirdness sometimes it does and sometimes it does not click/smoke.  I have tried to narrow it down to a cylinder/lifter but just too much engine noise to be positive.  Those are the symptoms...

I have added Marvel Mystery Oil and some over the counter oil additives claiming to reduce such symptoms and it did seem to help but not completely eliminate the problem.

Some one suggested I add a quart of transmission fluid to the oil and it may free itself and stop. I must admit I do recall hearing this shade tree mechanics trick many years ago.  Not looking for a miracle cure, but it would be easier, cheaper and faster than taken off the top end of the engine.  I guess my question is this...has anyone ever actually done this?  and if so, what were the results?  

Thankyou in advance and I appreciate your input.

Comments

• BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    I put a quart of Transmission fluid in my 2005 dodge 5.7 Hemi the other week before I changed oil.  

I’ve always used Mobil 1 full synthetic but got a couple jugs of Pennzoil full synthetic and ran it for 5k miles.  I can’t say I liked it & it created a tick in the lifters.  So to clean it up some before I went back to Mobil 1 full synthetic I used the trans fluid.  Truck had 199,500 miles on it.  

I ran it for a week then changed oil & don’t have the tick anymore.  Definitely give Mobil 1 full synthetic a try in the end it will definitely help clean up the inside.  I’ve used Mobil 1 full synthetic  for 25 years in all our vehicles & two vehicles achieved well over 200k & still going strong, plus I don’t drive like an old lady either!