Wet Sunday Morning, Foggy Windshield, Aborted Cruise

Old Fogey UK
Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser

Britain is in the middle of a Coronavirus general lockdown but to raise our depressed spirits this morning, Mrs Fogey and I set off in the Hudson for the supermarket to be followed with a cruise around some country roads.

It's a typically rainy British November day here today and although Rainex took care of the water on the windshield, its companion product meant to stop the windshield misting up was worse than useless.

Mrs Fogey became jittery because of our lack of forward vision and so we had to turn around after about half a mile and head back to the Fogey Homestead.

I'd be interested in recipes that owners of other pre-heater/demister cars have for keeping their windshields free of fog on wet days when opening a window or the windshield isn't an option..

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    If I were you, I'd try a different product.  Or, make your own: https://www.hunker.com/13429451/how-to-make-your-own-anti-fog-glass-and-windshield-spray

I've never had a problem, once I applied whatever product I use (it's been sitting in my glovebox for years, but the car is now 95 miles from me, so I can't give you the product name).

I think the key is to buff the windshield glass with a clean rag after the product dries. Of course, you apply it to the inside of the glass.
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Hands Free Hair Dryer?
  • A squeegee 
  • Old Fogey UK
    Thanks for the last 2 suggestions but I can't see Mrs Fogey being happy to provide continuous motive power. After a couple of swipes with a cloth last Sunday morning she was becoming highly critical of the whole old car hobby !  ;)
  • Old Fogey UK
    Thanks for the last 2 suggestions but I can't see Mrs Fogey being happy to provide continuous motive power. After a couple of swipes with a cloth last Sunday morning she was becoming highly critical of the whole old car hobby !  ;)
    At old car flea markets over here, you occasionally see little electric windshield heaters that you wired in to the car's electrical system with a detachable socket. I might look out for one of them once the world goes post-virus.
    I'm surprised that no old car accessory manufacturer has tried replicating these devices - they'd cost very little to make (in China !).
  • Old Fogey UK

Well it seems that someone is reproducing old style windshield demisters -

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/products/ca1384-container-windscreen-demister

I'll be ordering a 6 volt one.

I'll report back if it's any good.

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    No sense of adventure there :)
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Thirty quid seems a little costly when you can open both front windows a crack for nothing. Just arrived back home after a 2 day trip in the 28 Essex coupe, mostly in the rain, & RainX & windows kept my passenger quiet & maybe happy.

• Old Fogey UK
    ESSX28-1 said:
    Thirty quid seems a little costly when you can open both front windows a crack for nothing. Just arrived back home after a 2 day trip in the 28 Essex coupe, mostly in the rain, & RainX & windows kept my passenger quiet & maybe happy.

Rainex is OK for the outside but the Rainex anti-mist is absolutely useless.
    Maybe it's just English weather but opening a widow a bit didn't help much.
    If I'd opened the window all the way, my passenger wouldn't have been either quiet or happy ?!
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Obviously the anti-fog doesn't work because the moisture comes from the opposite direction  it does down here in the Southern hemisphere.   Try sitting Mrs. Fogey upside down and see if that helps.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Geoff said:
    Obviously the anti-fog doesn't work because the moisture comes from the opposite direction  it does down here in the Southern hemisphere.   Try sitting Mrs. Fogey upside down and see if that helps.
    I have just told Mrs Fogey that. Her reply was that her brother lives in South Island and he's coming for you...  :D