Oil Clutch

I'm the proud owner of a 1933 Essex Terrarplane 8. I purchased the car in 1981 from the original owner. I haven't driven it for about a year and found the clutch is stuck. Can anyone help me with tips on how to free up the clutch?
I truly appreciate whatever help you can provide.
Thanks very much
Steve Cavender
Gold Canyon, Arizona

Comments

• BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Steve, here is what I do to free up a clutch.  Brace the clutch pedal to the floor from the seat, 2x4 cut to length.  I usually use a 1x4 or 1x6 against the seat vertically to not damage the seat material.  

With the pedal braced, drain out any fluid from the clutch & refill with lacquer thinner, acetone or toluene.  I try to fill it til it just comes up to the fill hole.  From there let it sit a few days then grab the bumper & rock the car, do this every few days.  It’s best if you can rotate the clutch so all the corks inside get the cleaner on them.  Jack up the rear wheels off the ground, then bump the starter to get it to turn over.  It should come loose pretty easily.  I just did one of my Hudson’s this way in early spring after 15+ years.  

Once free be sure to do a good flush per Hudson recommenced method of engaging the clutch to clean the cork surfaces, works well.  With these clutches history of getting stuck I try to keep the pedal braced if storing it for a few months or more.  
  • Thank you BigSky for the detailed explanation on how to free up the clutch on my '33 Terrarplane! I'm confident I can get it freed up and back on the road! 
    I appreciate you VERY MUCH!
    Steve