1954 Hudson Jet dragster for sale on Craigslist

Comments

• 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    It’s a shame that the original drivetrain isn’t there..
  • An LS motor??? Boooo!
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Is this the same one the guy butchered and sold the original drive train a few years ago?  Everyone told him he was nuts and ruined the value.
  • 50C8DAN said:
    Is this the same one the guy butchered and sold the original drive train a few years ago?  Everyone told him he was nuts and ruined the value.
    Same car.
  • 50C8DAN
    Almost every show on Motor Trend installs an LS ENGINE not motor.  It has now subplanted the old SBC as a bellybutton engine.  I always like to see some original thought for an engine swap, Nailhead, old Hemi, Lincoln V12, Studebaker V8, etc.  Nothing wrong with an LS and it is mostly a plug and play, but doing something outside the box is always interesting.
  • How about an LS engine masquerading as a Nailhead?
    See the source image
  • I think this was the old Sloan McCauley Jet/Hornet that he won a bunch of races in. Based out of Texas this little drag car was tremendous.   If the Hornet engine is missing then Don Garlits must have removed it.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited October 2020
    The 7X engine was removed by guy who bought the car from Garlits daughter. The 7X engine and other parts were sold to an HET member.  The car now has a GM V6 installed.  The car was sold by fellow who removed 7X engine after the V6 installed.  Current owner has had the car for sale for some time. 
  • Dang, an LS mill is downright exciting compared to the thought of a v6... :/

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor

FYI

I understand from a couple of people that had called me that the original 'Sloan Record Holder Motor' was removed by the person that installed the Chevy. Not Gartlis. Gartlis Museum periodically rotates Cars by selling off. Apparently this Chevy guy saw the Ad.

The new Jet owner actually called me mentioning his Chevy conversion asking if I wanted to buy the Hudson motor At that time I had no desire to buy it since was asking too much considering would need rebuilt.  Later, I seen it advertised on E Bay, then the Hydro.

I also talked with another person in New England area that said the Motor was purchased  and re-freshed in a Rail dragster then ran the 'Race of Gentleman's' on a Beach in New England in 2019. There is a Video online showing a two seat dragster doing a burnout on a Street enroute to the beach race….

• 50C8DAN
    A fool and his money are soon parted.  I am always amazed how someone can take a valuable piece of history and "improve it" and then wonder why they cannot make a profit.
  • super-six
    super-six Expert Adviser
    This car was for sale by the person that butchered it a few years ago for $20,000.

• Obviously, his target market is not your average Hudson guy. Putting an LS in it will likely appeal to a larger audience... But very few of them in the Hudson world. I'm afraid that people outside of the club would place little value on an old flathead six powered race car. 
  • 50C8DAN
    I would not be too sure of that.  Some of these older race cars owned by known drivers sometimes bring some good money at auctions.
  • H7XHDSN
    H7XHDSN Member
    Does anybody know the phone number of the person who has the Slaone’s Jet?
  • StepUp
    StepUp Member
    I thoroughly enjoy bone stock Hudsons especially when equipped with a wide block six. But running a Hudson sporting a modern drive train that generates and safely handles 550Hp x 600Ftlb is like getting a new lease on life. Especially fun when your buddy's 2018 Dodge SRT392 eats your exhaust left overs! lol