overdrive

I'm working on single lever overdrive behind a 308 and have couple questions. When it came to me wires everywhere, ordered a YnZ overdrive harness to eliminate wiring mess. First problem, won't go into reverse, second solenoid doesn't engage. I've bench tested the relay and solenoid, both work. I think it has something to do with reverse lock out. Harness comes with correct wire colors and correct Essex plugs. Please help, I'm to deliver vehicle this weekend.
   Kim

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Will it go into reverse with the OD locked out?  They are difficult to get into R otherwise.

• kamzack
    kamzack Senior Contributor

Yes it will. I've bypassed or unplugged da 2 wires to lock out switch and being able to get close to it is a challenge. It's in a 46 pickup and very difficult to get wires plugged in.

On me Commodore I put a plate over that opening and I think I connected da 2 wires. It just seems the lock out piston is not sliding far enough to everything to function. 

Thank you for da response.

Kim

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Kim,

In the Hudson Shop Service Manual 1948-1952, there is a section (9-23, 9-24) on testing the function of the components using a test light.  Works great to diagnose problems.  I used long test leads and had the test light sticking out of the hood where it meets the cowl.  That allowed me to see the light go on and off while I was driving during one of the test procedures. 

Hope this helps,

John Forkner