remanufactured Differential Gears

I am looking for one of the 3:59 gear sets that have been reproduced over the years by various individuals.  Please contact me if you have one these you do not plan to use.

Allan

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Wasn't Ivan Zaremba selling those?
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Ivan Zaremba organised a small batch (15 to 20 sets?) of 6 bolt CWP that were pre-ordered and became available at the time of the Colorado Springs 2015 National.
    Prior to that Pat McDonald of the ROC in the UK had the same diff gears made.

• BUMP:  this lead was followed to a dead end.  I'm looking for a set of gears from previous batches that may not have been installed.  If you know of someone who bought a set and have not used them, please send me the contact info to follow up on.

There have been sets reproduced in both 6 bolt and 8 bolt versions!

Thanks,
    Allan
  • bob ward
    One thought is that there have been rapid advances in CNC technology in the last few years, getting a single set made may no longer be cost prohibitive. 
  • Good idea, but I would still need a set to copy.
    Allan
  • bob ward
    The CNC guys could work from a 4.11 CWP, that would give them enough info from which to develop the computer model for a  3.59 set. 
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
     dbob ward said:
    Ivan Zaremba organised a small batch (15 to 20 sets?) of 6 bolt CWP that were pre-ordered and became available at the time of the Colorado Springs 2015 National.
    Prior to that Pat McDonald of the ROC in the UK had the same diff gears made.

I'm afraid Pat died recently.
    The gear sets may be still be available through the ROC.
    They can be contacted via their website.

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Very sorry to hear that.  He was a good man, and very helpful to his fellow club members by having these gears reproduced.  He had been over to the States on several occasions, to attend H-E-T meets, and I was happy to have met him.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Jon B said:
    Very sorry to hear that.  He was a good man, and very helpful to his fellow club members by having these gears reproduced.  He had been over to the States on several occasions, to attend H-E-T meets, and I was happy to have met him.
    Jon,
    There was a really nice one in the ROC magazine a couple of issues ago. I am surprised they didn't pass it on to the HET.
    If you contact them via their website I'm sure they'll forward it.
    Yes, the Northern Irish dentist was a nice man - RIP.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    They may have passed it on, and possibly Sam Jackson already has the obit.  Because this is the first I'd heard about Pat's passing, I thought I'd see if there was an obit, then pass it along to Sam on the chance he didn't have it yet.  A search on the internet proved fruitless.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Jon B said:
    They may have passed it on, and possibly Sam Jackson already has the obit.  Because this is the first I'd heard about Pat's passing, I thought I'd see if there was an obit, then pass it along to Sam on the chance he didn't have it yet.  A search on the internet proved fruitless.
    If I can get the relevant ROC Bulletin back from my friend, I'll scan it and email it to you.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Jon B said:
    If I can get the relevant ROC Bulletin back from my friend, I'll scan it and email it to you.
    Jon - I've just sent you a private message about a link to the online version of the ROC Bulletin that carried Pat's obituary.
  • Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor
    I would like to know if there is still intrest in these gears I was going to have some made if there is I do know of a set I can get for the pattern and I also have a shop that can make them I will check into the cost if there is enough intrest.
  • bob ward
    Tom if you are going to get these 3.55 gears made I would suggest making them for the 8 bolt centre rather than the early 6 bolt centre. The 8 bolt pumpkins are readily swapable into the early diffs.
    The 6 bolt centres had/have a reputation for shearing their carrier bolts, the 8 bolt centre is much stronger in that regard.
    Secondly you have a much bigger market, the 8 bolt centre was used until 1947. I'm sure its not just the 34/5/6 owners who want more relaxed highway cruising.

• Bob is right, I would rather have the 8 bolt set but could also work with a 6 bolt set up.  I think more people would go for this conversion if they realized how much nicer the car drives over all.
  • Still interested in a set that's available now if anyone knows of one!
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    Question?? Is the only difference the number of holes in the bolt pattern all other dimensions being the same.  Except of course the gear geometry.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The 8-bolt unit will fit straight in your housing, but you cannot  fit a 8-bolt crown wheel to your existing carrier.
  • bob ward
    The possibility of making a dual use 6/8 bolt 3.55 CWP has been examined and won't work. As has been said the 6 and 8 bolt pumpkins are interchangeable as a whole but component swaps within the pumpkin aren't possible.
  • 35 Terraplane
    Thanks Geoff & Bob. That’s what I needed to know
  • Rocket, I would be interested in one.  Keep me posted as to progress/potential cost.  My car is a 36T.
  • 35 Terraplane
    Rocket, I would be interested if you're planning on making the older 6 bolt gear. Like my user name it would be for my 35 T
  • Rocket
    AS soon as I can get some information on the cost I will post it these will be the same ones that Ivan had made.
  • Wonderful!  Thank you sir.
  • bob ward
    From memory the Colorado Springs CWP were approx US$1200 a set.
  • 35 Terraplane
    Sounds good, Thanks 
  • I'm interested as I'd like my 36t move along abit faster cheers ken
  • Rocket
    Just to keep you updated I will know very soon if we can get these made and how much it will cost Now as my good friend says to me alot  changing gears here for a minute here what would we need to know and do to also make these 3.55 for a 8 bolt crown wheel as long as we are making 6 bolt crown wheels is there any intrest I am willing to look into it just let me know what think Tom.
  • Tom, I would like to think that the more interested parties, the less cost to each.  Although that may/may not be the case.  Also, we all need to make sure we have money to put where our mouth is...you should in no way be expected to front the costs!  We may need to move on to private messages/phone calls to provide mutual assurances.  Thanks again, Jared C   (note> I dont see this info on the regular club forum,,,,,do you want me to put the info on there under 'Parts", to make sure we dont miss anyone?)
  • Rocket
    Jared C I am sorry I never thought of puting it on the regular forum would you please put it on for me Also I got great news today I called my gear company today and they put me in touch with a company not far from I live and they are going to work out the cost for me on the 6 hole sets and they said they should be able to do 8 hole sets for us to all I need now is some one I can call in the club who can tell me what years 8 hole sets were in and how to figure out the 3.55 for the set also I need to know if any one wants 8 hole sets thanks Tom.