overdrive issues

ski4life65
ski4life65 Expert Adviser
I recently bought a non running 49 Commodore 6. It was a torn up flywheel which was replaced. Runs and drives fine, but no overdrive. The previous owner said it worked........Was converted to 12 volt, and the voltage regulator is gone. Also Overdrive regulator is gone. When driving, and I push pedal to the floor and activate the kickdown switch, the car dies. Looking for ideas. I feel as though it is a simple solution.

Comments

• The kickdown switch could still be wired in such a fashion as to provide a interrupt to the ignition coil.  With or without the relay it "could" be grounding out your coil; thus, killing the engine.  Until you trace the wires to see how the overdrive circuit is supposed to work on your car it will be difficult to understand.  Disconnecting the plug from the kickdown switch may fix the dying engine issue and make it more drivable until the overdrive problem is solved.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I recommend fitting a toggle switch in  place of the kick-down, which open circuits the circuit to ground for the relay, which goes through the governor.  this is the black and yellow wire in the circuit under the kick-down.  When you want  to drop out of overdrive,  open the switch and lift your foot, then put your foot down again and you will be in direct drive, so you can pull the  control out.  Much less brutal on the clutch and transmission input shaft.