Technical Topics Books.

Geoff
Geoff Senior Contributor
edited September 2020 in HUDSON
These are now ready to print.  I realise cost of postage may put you off, as they are done here  in New Zealand.
Twenty years of Technical Topics  as published in the N.Z. Triangle, and the W.T.N.   In two volumes, 250 and 300 pages.  Plastic cover, and colour photos.   U.S.$40 per volume.   Postage $40 for one volume, $60 for two, posted in padded envelope.   These will be supplied to order from the local printer, so there will be a time delay between ordering, printing, and posting.   If interested please contact me at NZgeoffclark@xtra.co.nz  (Leave off the first NZ).  Send no money at this time.
Geoff

Comments

• stbryson
    stbryson Senior Contributor
    Hello Mr. Clark,

E-mail sent.

Thank you, and take care,

Steve Bryson
  • AN OPTION WOULD BE TO PUT THE VOLUMES ON DVD; SELL THEM AT A LOWER COST AND MAILING A DVD IS MUCH MUCH LESS, CONSIDERED MEDIA MAIL. PRINTING COST IS AVOIDED. CAR CLUBS HERE DO THEIR BACK ISSUE MAGAZINES OFTEN. A CD CAN EVEN BE USED.
    YES, SOME LIKE HARD COPIES. 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Thank you for the suggestion.  I can supply as USB chip as well.
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    I think that RichardD’s idea is perfect and would keep costs down and make it a little bit more affordable!
  • Didn't think of a SD card !! That was Geoff. Things are progressing to fast for me it seems.
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    Better to pay a premium and get a signed copy from the Author these will be very collectible and a must read Hudson enthusiast.  
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Trevor J said:
    Better to pay a premium and get a signed copy from the Author these will be very collectible and a must read Hudson enthusiast.  
    Geoff deserves to paid for the efforts he put into this. It's not going to be a million copy best seller. If you can't afford one , maybe find a friend that will share the cost and the copy.
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    Pricing in QZ   would be  40.00 AUD = 28.11 USD

Not a bad price.
  • Since I first brought up digital copies for some USA people !!: Certainly I didn't infer that he not be paid for all the effort. Cost for both USA volumes is $140. 
    Since the $60. mailing cost & the printing cost are going to others, not to him, it is possible to reduce those costs significantly, i.e., by using a $1.00 SD card. 
    Sorry, so much for my can of worms~~

• 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    My intent was the same. I certainly was not implying that he was asking too much. I was implying that the postal system was asking too much!
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    My intent was the same. I certainly was not implying that he was asking too much. I was implying that the postal system was asking too much!
    Understood. If he can supply the info for less cost and still make the same return , all better for everybody but the postal service. 
    I quit listing items for sale because the postage is out of hand. more then 80 %
    cancellation after quoting shipping.
    Swap meets and flea markets will come back , some day.
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor

I always prefer a printed copy of reference material as opposed to staring at my computer screen unless staring at the screen is the only option.

I checked Staples cost per page for black & white prints, 0.13 cents. Cost for color per page can range between 0.20 cents to as high as 0.60 cents depending on color density, I.e. a photo.  So if Geoff’s books are 80% B&W and 20% color, I’m guessing don’t actually know, for 250 pages I’m figuring about $40.00 just to print them and that’s not including the cost to bind them. There are probably less expensive print services out there.  Seems to me that if anything Geoff is doing it at cost or very little extra jing if any.  Just saying.

• Geoff, is one one volume more towards step downs and the other pre-step downs ir is it a pretty good mix in both volumes?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Pretty much a mish-mash of the last twenty  years as  printed in the W.T.N., not necessarily in date or topical order, due to  having to retrieve them  after several computers and operating systems.  For the record, these are quoted in U.S.$, and yes I am making enough on them to  cover costs, plus a little.   As it is of little interest outside Club membership, it will never be a big seller!  I am getting it done at the local back-yard office printer here in Wakefield.  I have been doing these articles for the last fifty years for the N.Z. Triangle, and for the W.T.N. for twenty, and have been a member of the H.E.T. Club for 57 years.   I also do reproduction castings for mainly 1928 and 1929 Hudson and Essex, which are also done on a cost recovery basis.  The years from 1967 through 2000 have been scanned and may be printed in the future, if I last that long!
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    Wonderful,   a life times work,  compiled for posterity and sharing.
    Thank You