battery

Hello, I have a 1936 Hudson Deluxe Eight series 64. I believe this should be a positive ground system. It may have been run with the cables switched, however it started and ran. Anything I should check for damage? If I also use an 8 volt battery, is the regulator adjustment the only concern? Thanks

Comments

• 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    When I First got my 51 coupe, it had an 8 volt battery. The regulator was tweaked to work. The wiring harness was original and had quite a bit of resistance. I went through headlights fairly regularly.. I never had any problems with dash bulbs because of the factory regulator in the dash starting in ‘51..
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Yes, it SHOULD be a positive ground, unless someone fooled with it before you got it.  Someone will jump in here and tell you how to know if the cables were switched. 

As to the 8-volt, are you considering switching to this, or do you suspect that the previous owner had an 8-volt battery?  Eight versus Six volts is a subject of great debate.  My personal view is: you don't need 8-volts, why needlessly complicate your wiring and regulator adjustments for two measly additional volts?  If all your components are running tip-top, and your battery cables have good connections ("tight and bright") as wall as good grounds to the body, the car should start and run just fine.  If it doesn't then you have a problem somewhere, and going to 8 or 12 volts merely masks the problem.

(But, like as not, someone will respond that 8 volts is the definite way to go!)
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Yes, should be positive ground.   There should  be no damage if only run for a short while.  Connect the battery positive ground, and momentarily connect the "Batt" and "A" terminals on  the regulator and you should be good to go.   No need to fit an 8 volt battery if all connections are good , tight and clean. You can get L.E.D.  bulbs for the headlights, otherwise fit a relay.   Good luck.  I have a similar car in my workshop right now.
  • I have a 6 volt positive ground in my 36. The Hornet I had did have the eight volt, dad converted when he had the car, only resistor was for the radio. Thing is modern 6 volt batteries have a lot more cranking power that the older ones, my Terraplane has  625 CCA,( Durastart HD-1) so I don't see the need for 8 volts nowadays, just my opinion.