Hens teeth Not mine, 1928,29 Essex Clum switch for sale

Comments

• Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    for that price you would almost want a car attached.  Hes off the planet
  • It’s all relative. 
    Having never seen a NOS example for sale before, especially in the original carton, I have no basis of comparison. I have, however seen people here on the board go to great lengths to repair their original ones. 
    Maybe they will eventually drop the price if nobody buys it soon.  
  • That is a good price for NOS. I have seen used ones sell for 4-500.... I know how fragile these things are, and I wouldn't let my spare used one go for $300. You're not going to go the local dealer on the corner and pick one up.
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    That is just like the 1927  switch handles, They can break very easily. 

I saw one person who insisted he could use the end of the handle, and it broke off while he was demonstrating.

• ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    If you need one of these switches, the price seems fair. Not like you are going to find one anywhere else. Of course, probably not a ton of demand either.
  • Absolutely!
    like I said, it’s all relative. 
    $300 will probably buy you a plastic tupperware body part or computer driven sensor for a modern disposable transportation pod. 
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    Well it just goes to show how out of touch I am its no wonder we cant get young people into the hobby with prices like that.  Young working folk with a family could not afford to restore a car.  I guess if we ask prices like this it will continue to drive people out of restoring older cars to the newer ones
  • It’s all about priorities.
    Thankfully Mr. King gave me a great price on the car, otherwise I probably wouldn’t have an Essex yet. Actually prices for modest old cars that aren’t top of the line are becoming more reasonable. I see young people acquiring less sought after four door models all the time.

I can afford to conserve my Essex because I bought a modest home in a questionable neighborhood and worked like a Trojan when I was a young man. 

Kids these days typically forego the starter home and mortgage themselves to the hilt to fund the Mc Mansion, an appetite for electronic gadgets and a high end Tupperware car. However there will always be outliers like us, with the collector’s gene
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The switch on l.h.d. cars is attached to the  bottom of the steering column, which is the very worst position it could be, as any oil that leaks from the steering box is going to  coat the switch and terminals. On r.h.d car the switch is mounted on the dash, and the hand throttle is a Bowden cable.   so there are some advantages of r.h.d.   so if replacing the switch, make sure that you attend to any oil leaks.