'52 Hornet 4-door, Iowa, Nice

Jon B
Jon B Administrator
Car looks very nice but has interesting color combination.  Craigslist.  https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/d/dubuque-1952-hudon-hornet-twin-power/7198481656.html  Asking $13,500.  

Comments

• Yeah.... Interesting... :)
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Seems like a good deal. Not a big fan of the color, but I would be proud to drive it.
  • Oh, I'd love to drive it too. I'd probably just cover the brown with more yellow or white. 
  • Oh, I'd love to drive it too. I'd probably just cover the brown with more yellow or white. 
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    White does not do this body style justice.

• Kerry, I agree. BTW  has anyone ever seen a completely white stepdown?    I don't think I ever have. Would not be a favorite of mine but I'm just curious as to that color ever existing.
  • Lance said:
    Kerry, I agree. BTW  has anyone ever seen a completely white stepdown?    I don't think I ever have. Would not be a favorite of mine but I'm just curious as to that color ever existing.
    There was one used to frequent the All California Meet. It was owned by either Larry Slocum, or Bruce Silva. It was mildly customized, by removal of bumper guards, and some trim... Just generally "cleaned up"... It was a beautiful car. 
  • 54coupe said:
    Lance said:
    Kerry, I agree. BTW  has anyone ever seen a completely white stepdown?    I don't think I ever have. Would not be a favorite of mine but I'm just curious as to that color ever existing.
    There was one used to frequent the All California Meet. It was owned by either Larry Slocum, or Bruce Silva. It was mildly customized, by removal of bumper guards, and some trim... Just generally "cleaned up"... It was a beautiful car. 
    I forgot to mention, it was a 51 coupe, and one of my favorites.
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    GREAT buy at $13,500.  

• I saw a Wasp sedan in faded white a very long time ago. I don't know if it was original or a low-buck re-spray that aged quickly. It wasn't my favorite. I wasn't advocating all white anyway.
    The hacked up dash on this one is really sad. That's a lot of cutting to get a barely marginal Delco deck shoved in there.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Was all white even an option?  Funny that today I believe that white is and has been the most popular color on cars.  I don't remember seeing many cars of the 30s 40s, or 50s that were all white.  Late 50s and early 60s maybe.

I think this is a great deal on this car if it is as good as it looks on the outside underneath.  I also am not a fan at all of brown cars, but hey you take what you can get sometimes.
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser
    edited September 2020
    I looked at my 1950 Ditzler paint color card and there is no white.  

The closest thing to white, in 1950 anyway, was Cornish Cream.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    50C8DAN said:
    Was all white even an option?  Funny that today I believe that white is and has been the most popular color on cars.  I don't remember seeing many cars of the 30s 40s, or 50s that were all white.  Late 50s and early 60s maybe.

I think this is a great deal on this car if it is as good as it looks on the outside underneath.  I also am not a fan at all of brown cars, but hey you take what you can get sometimes.
    No attempt to hi-jack the thread... BTW the car now in IOWA was For Sale in North Texas a few years back... on Craigslist in the Wichita Falls area then...

I have seen quite a few white or near white Hudson Stepdowns... I have posted some pictures below... I am bummed too... I took a picture of a father and son project 1951 Hornet at the 1999 Nashville Nationals... they were from California and had driven their white sedan equipped with performance built 308 to the meet.  All I could find is the engine shot which is also included.

Dave Sollen's 1952 Hornet Convertible

• Glowplug said:
    50C8DAN said:

No attempt to hi-jack the thread... BTW the car now in IOWA was For Sale in North Texas a few years back... on Craigslist in the Wichita Falls area then...

I have seen quite a few white or near white Hudson Stepdowns... I have posted some pictures below... I am bummed too... I took a picture of a father and son project 1951 Hornet at the 1999 Nashville Nationals... they were from California and had driven their white sedan equipped with performance built 308 to the meet.  All I could find is the engine shot which is also included.

Dave Sollen's 1952 Hornet Convertible

The owner of the hot rod Hudson was Grayson Hicks. If you look closely, it has a high torque starter and a 700r trans adapted to it.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Thanks Danny... That was a nice car and the son was sure proud of their joint build.  I believe it may have been the first time he and Dad had come to a National too. Sure was hot on that blacktop parking lot.  That was the year that Sam Jackson became the WTN editor.  Sam was with SEMA then and had gotten Smoky Yurnik to attend and speak to the membership.  We were there for a couple of days but left before the end as we were enroute to NY on military leave.    
  • 50C8DAN
    I believe the convertible is Cornish Cream?
  • My dad had this car painted back in the 70’s, the white never looked good to me at all. It’s originally a Jefferson green car. 
  • But now it looks like this awaiting resurrection 
  • Uh, ouch... What did it hit?
  • 50C8DAN
    If you go for a single color I always thought all black looks cool on a Hornet and you don't see many of those either.  An all black Hornet just looks sinister!  Two tone seems to be the most popular of the 51 through 57s.
  • The pavement, it was being flat towed with a tow bar behind a pickup. Rust free car otherwise 
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    The pavement, it was being flat towed with a tow bar behind a pickup. Rust free car otherwise 

I had a similar incident with a 48 business coupe in Florida. Flat towing and the front tire of the Hudson blew out on the Turnpike. I was towing with an S-10 and it put me into the grass median. I was probably doing 60. My truck was pretty messed up, but the Hudson not as bad as yours. Mostly just a few scrapes. The fact that it was grass, probably saved me.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    At one time, any re-paint using white as the color, was suspect as white hides poor body work better then any other color.
    Cornish cream is not a pure white.