1936 Terraplane headlight bulbs

Rocket
Rocket Senior Contributor
I am sorry if this been asked before. I want to change my 36 Terraplane headlight bulbs to 12 volt bulbs. What I have to do this is an Arrow sealed beam head light conversion kit with 12 volt sealed beam lights. When you install the sealed beam lights into the kit you end up with a complete light ready to install (This whole thing when put together takes the place of the old 6 volt bulb the reflector and the glass  lens) it is installed into the headlight bucket all at once just like you would put in the old lens only this is everything all at once. I felt that this would be an easy way to change a burnt out head light without worrying about breaking the lens witch are hard to  get. Lately I have herd that you can get 12 volt bulbs that go right into the old socket could someone tell if these new bulbs are as bright as a sealed beam light would be I plan on doing a lot of day and night driving Thank for your help Tom.

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I  understand that the original pre-focus base can be obtained with L.E.D.'s now.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited September 2020
    Replacing the reflector / lens with a sealed beam kit was the answer in the 1950's, when sealed beams were the brightest thing going.  Now we have quartz-halogen and even LED bulbs, which are brighter than sealed beams and take less electrical current.  And because they are now available with the old "American Prefocus" 3-hole flange mount, they will go right into the old socket.
    Even better, the newer quartz-halogen and LED lamps are available in both 6 and 12 volts.  So you needn't go to the trouble of changing your entire electrical system to 12 volts unless you want to do so.
    (I should say: the sealed beam lights have always been available in 6-volt as well as 12-volt, so if you're sold on using sealed beam bulbs, you can install the conversion kit, then go out and find 6-volt sealed beam bulbs if you like.)
    IF you want to change to the quartz-halogen bulbs, they do make a simulated sealed beam insert that would fit into your conversion kit, and the insert has provisions for installing the quartz-halogen lamp inside it.  But that seems unnecessarily complicated, when all you need to do is install the halogen lamp right into your original reflector / socket.
    However, you STILL run the risk of dropping and breaking the lens.  But it's easy enough to place blankets on the front bumper under the light, to catch the lens should you "muff it".  What you WILL have to do (with either the LED or halogen) is get that reflector re-plated with silver.  Not a big deal, though, and there are actually a couple avenues you can pursue on that.  There is definitely a more "authentic look" when using the original reflector / lens setup.  The sealed beam and its special rim, never look quite right.
    No matter which way you go -- sealed beam conversion, LEDs, quartz-halogen or even the original incandescent bulbs (they can be found in 50 candlepower, if you look around), you should consider installing a headlight relay and running separate ground wires to a soldered connection on your sockets.  This sends maximum power to your lights and bypasses rusty grounds, corroded switches and miles of bad wiring, to give you maximum headlight brightness.
    That's a summary of various avenues you can take.  If you want to pursue the quarts-halogen of LED path, I'm sure that folks will be happy to fill you in on various companies that sell these lamps for antique cars.  I have had LED headlights on my '37 T for the past year.
  • I got the 12 volt bulbs for my 36 from Ron Francis wire works. The plugged right in to the 36 sockets.
  • Rocket
    Thank you Geoff/ Jon B/and54 coupe for all the information Jon B could these LEDs, quartz-halogen come with both low and high beam Thanks for all of your help guys.
  •  The ones from Ron Francis are quartz halogen. I think I paid about 15 each.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Rocket: yes, both the LED and the quartz halogen lamps have high / low beams.  That's why they have two contacts.  I must admit that, although my LED low beams are bright, the high beams do not seem to "project" out further, as one might expect.  But I believe there are several companies making these retro-fit LED's (and quartz halogen), so if you are interested, you might "ask around" as to peoples' experience with them.
  • Deal with amperage if you are running 6 volts. Twice as many as you have running 12 volts.  Relays, 12 gage, ????
  • I converted to sealbeam and used 6 volt quartz halogen sealbeams on my 36 T. Works very nice. I did install a headlight relay and ran ground wires from the battery to the three prong connector on the lights. Only drawback is it does away with the parking lights inside the original headlight bucket. Not a big deal for me. Don't really miss them and I have fog lights if I want to light up the front without the headlights on. Looks good and I dont have to worry about breaking the original lens!
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    I run 6 volt quartz halogen bulbs in my 28 Essex thru relays. Works well, good lights & not too much electrical pressure on a 92 year old switch.
  • Rocket
    I want to take the time to thank all of you who got back to me so fast with all the information about bulbs Tom.