underdash heaters

I bought another heater that fits my 39 six. The one on my car works fine. This one I bought doesn't work. I didn't expect it to for 15 bucks so no big deal. My question is does anyone have any info on rebuilding them? Or how to make them run?   

Comments

• I rebuilt mine. Its quite easy. Undo it completely, strip the paint and redo. The electric motor comes apart and can be regressed. Check for leaks on the radiator coil. Place it in a bucket of water and with slight air pressure check for leaks. Take it to a radiator repair shop to clean it inside and repair if necessary. Have a go yourself.. They aren't plastic and go together like a child's toy. Enjoy the experience it's fun and you can't do much damage cheers ken 
  • Thanks Ken, I'll see how she come apart. 
  • I have a South Wind heater, new in its box, for sale. But not cheap. 2 million were sold and used in the '30s & '40s; same type used in airplanes in WWII.
  • South wind? Not familiar with that. But thanks. I'm gonna give rebuilding this one a go. 
  • 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    When you say not cheap what’s the dollars your looking for.  
  • Those south wind heaters work great. I have a used one, but i'm nervous about plumbing fuel in to the passenger compartment.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Richard, my first Hudson-built car, a 37 Terraplane shared with my mom, had a South Wind heater . . .  worked great.  Being gasoline burning, you got instant heat.  No waiting for the engine to warm up.  Nice feature in nother
  • They are nice, Col.
    You didn't see one in all the airplanes you were close to ??
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Well RichardD, let’s see pictures of your heater & the price your hoping to get.  With over 2 million sold, they are plentiful & an ingenious invention in its day, easily see how they sold millions of them!
  • Can imagine you saw photos above;price not yet given.