51 Hornet Has No Brakes

Now that I've got my car running and it moves when I put it in drive/reverse I discovered I have no brakes. When I push on the brake pedal, it goes about 2 inches down then abruptly stops. I pulled off the master cylinder access cover and I can see the brake lever moving and the push rod moving into the master cylinder, then it just stops. I guess I'll unhook the brake lines at each wheel cylinder and see if there's any brake fluid and buy a new master cylinder. I tried to take the filler cap off the top of the master cylinder and mangled it pretty good.  

Comments

• If it has been sitting a long time, you will want to replace the master cylinder, replace the wheel cylinders, and replace all three flex hoses. You can try to flush the brake lines and decide if they are ok or should be replaced as well. All these parts are readily available, although you would have to bend your own brake lines.
  • Excellent. TY Mike!
  • Rock auto has new MCs for about $60
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    edited September 2020
    I just rebuild my master cylinders unless the bores are pitted badly. I have only found a few that were pitted real bad. Most of them fail because of the dirt that has fallen in them over the years and the cup won’t make a seal. This is one obvious flaw that the old cars have! I have never really had great success rebuilding the wheel cylinders though. They usually leak after a year or two..
  • Question: to remove the master cylinder cap, you unscrew it counterclockwise? I've got 1/2 inch breaker bar with a 1 and 1/8 socket on it and it won't budge. 
  • It loosens by turning counter-clockwise. 

If it is that seized up, you are better off just replacing it with a new unit like a NAPA #M3081.  It is probably full of rust and not worth any additional effort to salvage. You should try to save the banjo fitting behind it that goes to the brake lines.  The brake switch (NAPA # ECH SL 134) will also be full of junk.

• 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    My ‘39 was stuck pretty good like yours. It took me over 2 1/2 hours to get it off! It had been on there since 1994.