L.E.D. headlamp bulbs

Geoff
Geoff Senior Contributor
I had a pair of L.E.D'S sent to me for my '28 Essex.  Parallel pin type, fitted straight in, and incredibly  bright light.  Only problem is there is  no difference between high and low beam!!!   Both top and bottom array of  L.E.D'S light up on either high or low settings, hence no lower beam.   Anyone  else have this experience?   Bulbs made in China (where else?)
Geoff 

Comments

• Several in the Franklin club have used the LED bulbs sold by Speedway Motors for $29.95 each and have not reported a problem at all.

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I used the "American Prefocut" headlight LED's sold by that company in England.  The low beam is very nice, but the high beam doesn't seem to "extend", but merely shine in a wider radius (and upwards, so it lights up trees that are overhanging the road).  I wondered if other brands of LED headlights actually "project" down the road in high beams, or is this just the nature of LED's?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The Essex lamps have fully adjustable bulb holders, so you can get the focal point exactly right, so that is not a problem.   But both arrays of L.E.D.'s are on all the time   I would have thought the top row would light when on the low beam  position, sending the  beam downwards.   On an ordinary incandescent bulb the  high beam filament is in the centre of the  bulb, and the low beam is slightly above, sending the  beam downwards.   The L.E.D. bulb is a massive affair, with two rows of L.E.D.'s, one above the other, separated by a metal bar, and both arrays light up in both positions of the switch   Weird!   
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    I've bought headlight LEDs from classicandvintagebulbs.com in Adelaide. They're not installed yet but having a play I notice there are 2 LED arrays that switch between high and low beam.
    On the front page of the Classic and Vintage web site there is a note "Many so-called LED headlight bulbs are available, but check the fine print as they may dazzle other road users" I don't know the ins and outs of it all though .
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Bob, I'll be interested to know your results after you've installed your LED's.  Specifically, do the low beam lights "dip" and the high beam lights project further down the road, as they would with incandescent / halogen bulbs do?