'36 Terraplane Hood Hinge attachment to Cowl

Might someone have a photo or two showing the correct configuration of the hood and hood hinge parts installed at the cowl?  My '36 seems complete, but upon final assembly of the hood, it appears I am missing a part for the center hinge. With the parts I have, it is not intuitive what keeps the chrome center strip secured at the cowl end.  I've added a shot of the cowl bracket that is there.

At the front, there's a fastener to keep the center chrome strip in place. But, not sure what keeps the hood secured at the other end.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Comments

• philster
    philster Expert Adviser
    Tom, as far as I am aware, on Australian Hudson & Terraplane bodies, there is no difference between the front and rear centre bonnet hinge components and they are interchangeable from front to rear.
    From the photo, it looks like you are missing the piece that fits on top of what you have.
    1934 - 1936 are all the same.
    Regards
    Phil

• Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor
    Tom your part that bolts onto the cowl is broken in the picture it looks flush with the cowl it should not be first place to look for broken part is in the chrome strip to see if the broken part is still in there it extends from the end of the piece you have on the cowl now about an inch or so and has a hole in it that a small anvil like one that goes on the radiator and slides into the chrome strip to hold the hood down  I had a shop make me some heavy duty ones that will never break I had extras made then I sent them all out to CA were my car is at you can call me at six five one three one five 1337 and we can talk about it in the meantime I will see if I can get some pictures posted of the heavy duty ones Tom.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Rocket, if you have some leftovers from the run of parts that you had made, and would like to sell them, I would be happy to list them on my Hudson Repro Parts webpage.  No charge, or course, it's a service to fellow Hudsonites.
      http://www.detailedconcepts.net/Repro_Table.pdf
    PM me if you have an interest in doing so. 
  • Thanks for all the input, Guys, very helpful.

If the attachment parts are the same at each end, then I should get new parts for the front as well.

• Rocket
    Tom I called the person who is working on my car and he said he would post some pictures of the ones I had made. also Jon B I had a total of three sets made I needed two sets for me so I only have one extra set to sell.
  • Rocket,

I'd like to buy that available set.

Tom

• Rocket
    Tom call me my number is in the post above if I do not answer just leave me a message and I will call you back Tom.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Rocket: I'm glad that you were able to make and sell some extras.  That helped others, and also reimbursed you somewhat for your expenses.  Generally, I like to list reproductions on my website, of which several copies are available, not just one.  But if you repro any other Hudson parts in the future, and plan to have some spares made, please let me know and I'll be happy to list them.
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    Hood hinge hold downs.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Is the same system used on 34/5 cars? Thanks for the photos.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    I have a problem with the right side of my hood moving forward along the hinge and running into the front cowling, chipping the paint. I wonder if this system would prevent that ?
    The Citroen Traction Avant I used to have had similar hinge retainers but the front one had a small lip on it that prevented the hood sides sliding  along the hinge.
    If my problem is a common one and if someone is going to produce new hinge retainers, perhaps it's something that could be looked at.
  • Tom,
    Thanks for posting the excellent photos.  From the pictures alone I was able to have one made at a local machine shop quickly and reasonable cost.

I believe this was the last hurdle to getting my '36 truck on the road. Thanks again!
    Tom