Every building & street in NYC in 1940

parkerm
parkerm Expert Adviser
In NYC in 1939 & 1940 the city photographed every building in the city. They also captured a lot of streets with cars. Some of you with more knowledge than me may recognize some Hudsons. Even if you don't see cars you recognize it is a very interesting site.
Enjoy.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    where should we enjoy this?
  • And is this what you are trying to show??
    <a href="https://1940s.nyc/map#13.69/40.7093/-73.99397">https://1940s.nyc/map#13.69/40.7093/-73.99397</a>
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    Very interesting.  I was able to find my grand fathers "fifth floor walk up" apartment building on Valentine Ave in the Bronx.  I have many great memories of going there and racing my sisters up the stairs to his fifth floor apartment.  It didn't look any different from the picture then it did in the late 50's & early 60's when I was a kid.  He'd give us money and we'd head around the corner to Krum's Kitchen that had a big lunch counter. I always order a banana split.  Those were the days.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited September 2020
    BINGO! "Braw-way an' fifty-fit' !"

"Hudson-Terraplane Will Occupy Two-Story Structure at Fifty-fifth Street.

"A long lease has been taken by the Hudson Terraplane Company on the two-story building which the Mutual Life Insurance Company will erect at the northeast corner of Broadway and Fifty-fifth Street, on the site of the old Sonoma Apartments.  The deal was negotiated by the Cross & Brown Company.

The building will have a frontage of 75 feet on Broadway and 122 feet on Fifty-fifth Street, and will be an outstanding addition to the southerly end of Broadway's "Automobile row".  The first floor ceiling will have a height of seventeen feet, and the columns at the street frontage will be set back by use of the cantilever type of construction to permit a facade of glass and an uninterrupted view of the automobile displays.  David V. McElroy is architect for the project."

The New York Times, August 11, 1936
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Great find Jon!

• ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Look at the size of that sign!
  • parkerm
    parkerm Expert Adviser
    Sorry guys I have not been on here for several days. I did not realize I did not attach the link for the photos of NYC.
  • parkerm
    parkerm Expert Adviser
    WOW Jon, that was a great find. I suppose the new cars for the year were in those windows. I suppose if one spent the time they would find dealerships in the various borough's of the city. I lived in the city for many years in what is now referred to as the East Village. Now I can't remember what building is at Braw-way and fifty fit.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The Ford and Nash downtown Manhattan showrooms just couldn't hold a candle to Hudson's (which can be seen just beyond the horse's head)

• I remember a large building at 13th and Ny ave in DC. Big NASH dealer