35 T right side tail light mount.

35 Terraplane
35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
I'm looking for a right side tail light mount without the license plate notch for my 35 T model G. It only has a tail light on the left side. The number in my parts / interchange books indicate the same mount was used on the 34 LT-LL. the pic is what is installed on the car. The lamp housing is a Ford part which was installed at some point in the cars life.  Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    With any luck you'll find a nice, inexpensive used one.  However, one or two people are reproducing the bracket and lamp housing.  I have listed the metal components on my Repro Parts page http://www.detailedconcepts.net/Repro_Table.pdf  , under "Electrical and Lights, Lenses" and there are some photos in the last pages of the list.
  • 35 Terraplane
    Thanks Jon.  I'll do some checking into these folks.
  • dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    You have seen the posting in this forum about reproduction 32 - 39 Terraplane parts, right?  http://www.detailedconcepts.net/Repro_Table.pdf
    I see 35T tail light bases there. Some nice 34T reproduction bases (like mine) were offered in WTN and on EBay for AGES - may be all gone now?
    One of the images on pdf appears to be wrong - says 35T base but different.  These reproduction parts are from HET3d@hv3dworks.com and HEThotrodfoundry@att.net (no HET).  May not apply to you, but; Guys, buy repro parts when you see them! When you "need" them, they will be gone.

There are several things on EBay - most appear to be wrong for 35T.
    Hopefully a real 35T guy will chime in about 34/35 difference, if any.

• dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    spent too much time re-editing and and researching and Jon beat me to the punch while I was composing - sorry for duplicate info.  He probably knows; 34T and 35T tail light bases the same?  Also, who had those bases in the WTN forever (until now)?
  • 35 Terraplane
    I looked up the part number in the 30-39 parts book and interchange book and the 34-35 appear to be the same.  I'd like to find and original so it more closely matches the one on my car, pitting and all.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    The 1934 Hudson 8 LTS had these Terraplane tail light bases and also Terraplane headlights - at least, mine does.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Old Fogey - export models often used left-over parts, or just different parts for some reason.
  • Old Fogey UK
    I brought my car back from the USA, Geoff.
    I'm the third owner, the first lived in southern Illinois.
    I bought it from Norris Smith who was a member of the HET in the early days.
    He told me that LTS Series Hudsons were the nearest thing to a Terraplane 8 you could get in 1934 because apart from the engine, hubcaps and instrument panel, everything else on them was Terraplane.
    This was done to keep the cost down, said Norris.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Ah, I see now, the wiper on the left only!  My mistake.  We have a few left hookers here now since import restrictions have been lifted, but I'm too set in my ways to sit on the wrong side!
  • Old Fogey UK
    Yes, just one wiper and a bronze painted dashboard and window surrounds. No sun visors or swivelling ventilators in the doors. A manual choke, no ashtrays and very plain mohair seats.
     I don't think many of them sold because although it was the least expensive Hudson you could buy, less money would buy you a de luxe Plymouth, Chevrolet or Ford with a lot more "extra equipment ".
    I don't think they were sold outside the US - they're certainly not listed in my English 1934 Hudson and Terraplane catalogue.
     I wonder how many LTS Hudsons have survived ? Norris Smith thought mine was the only remaining 2 door.
  • Old Fogey UK
    And I forgot - only three vent doors on each side of the hood !
  • 35 Terraplane
    My car is the Special G model which was the least expensive economy model.  Only one wiper, one sun visor and one tail light on the left side.  It does have a ash tray.  Must be my wife's great uncle who bought the car new in 35 was a frugal kinda guy.  The wiring diagram from the owners shows the single tail light.  Oh and no voltage regulator, just a cut out switch.  
  • Old Fogey UK
    My car is the Special G model which was the least expensive economy model.  Only one wiper, one sun visor and one tail light on the left side.  It does have a ash tray.  Must be my wife's great uncle who bought the car new in 35 was a frugal kinda guy.  The wiring diagram from the owners shows the single tail light.  Oh and no voltage regulator, just a cut out switch.  
    Just the same as the LTS Hudson. Norris Smith put the second tail light on it and I added the voltage regulator.
    Maybe your great uncle paid extra for the ashtray ?
  • Old Fogey UK
    Why don't we private message each other with some pics to see how similar our cars are ?
  • Heck, just put them here so we can all see!
  • Old Fogey UK
    Heck, just put them here so we can all see!

OK, here goes...

(the car's original colour was Persian Grey Metallic - a sort of gun blue colour - I've painted it Land Rover "Windjammer Blue" which is very similar to the colour shown in a 1934 Saturday Evening Post ad for Hudsons)

• Old Fogey UK
    And here's some more...
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    edited August 2020
    Great looking car!  So who's the old guy standing aside it?
  • Old Fogey UK
    It could be Brad Pitt, Park, couldn't it ? ????
  • 35 Terraplane
    This is the only picture I currently have of my 35.  My wife took it in 2008 on my way to my first car show.