Suggestions for Cleaning Inside of Fuel Tank

Inside has typical fuel sludge. I started with soap and water and power washer, but there's a baffle in there. I'm thinking 10 gallons of white vinegar and 10 gallons of distilled water and let it sit overnight. They want $400 for a new tank so I'm gonna try to save this one. 

Comments

• Let us know how it works. I think the new tanks are a great deal. I'm grateful that someone was willing to go out on a limb and spend all that money to make them available. They are a perfect fit, too.
  • rumblefish351
    rumblefish351 Member
    edited August 2020
    I know. I saw the tank on eBay for $400 and looked pretty nice. Kinda jealous, but I'm on a budget so I will let you know. I'm heading to Walmart today. White Vinegar = $2.64/gallon x 10. 
    After I took the picture, I removed the fuel sending unit and it was toast. So, I need one of those too. 
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    edited August 2020

I used Paint thinner/Acetone. It worked pretty well but I still decided on a new tank instead. One shutdown on the highway because something broke loose and clogged the filter makes a new tank look a whole lot cheaper!

• ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    Mine had surface rust on the inside from sitting for 30 years.  After power washing, I taped up the ends and added a can of saniflush toilet bowl cleaner (powder) and filled up with water.  I shook it and rotated it every couple hours until clean and neutralized the waste with baking soda.  I finished with eastwood's gas tank sealer.  It has lasted for 15 years and is still going.
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor

My tanks have always been full of sh-t but I never thought of toilet bowl cleaner to get it out!

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    There are different grades of vinegar available. I recently bought 40% to kill weeds, and it works great. I think household is only 5% acidity.
  • I take most of mine to a truck radiator shop. Here is a '31 Franklin tank I got back. Only $20. for an overnight boilout. The nozzle is brass because they thought steel would spark and cause a fire: seriously ! Check the price before you do your own.

• That Sani-Flush story is pure gold. TY
    Richard, those tanks are beautiful. 
  • rumblefish351
    rumblefish351 Member
    edited August 2020
    Update: the vinegar did a good job removing the rust but the gasoline sludge remained.  I next tried Super Clean degreaser and it loosened the sludge up pretty good but in the end, it wasn't good enough. There was too much crud left on the bottom and with the new tanks being available, I decided to perform an autopsy on the tank. I removed a top portion on each side of the baffle, then took my pressure washer and cleaned out inside. The pick up tube was completely clogged with tank sediment. And here's the interesting finding, this round disc was found inside, loose, just sliding around on the bottom. It has a fine wire mesh on it. I think it was anchored at the base of the pick up tube. Maybe with a screen around it. There is also a screw thru the bottom of the tank. Is this the original, factory fuel filter for the pickup tube?

i

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The pick up tube was originally connected to the disk with wire mesh surround.  The disk was originally secured to the bottom of the tank. 
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    You may want to check out my method.  I'll try to attach a PDF from my newsletter.
  • rumblefish351
    rumblefish351 Member
    edited August 2020
    Uncle Josh: Thank you for the information. I wish I would have seen your instruction before I cut the access holes. I did cut one on each side of the baffle and this allowed me to use my pressure washer which cleaned the tank out really well. Your diagram about the strainer answered some of my questions about the configuration of the disc and the fine wire mesh. It looks like the disc was located up on the pick up tube with with the screen fastened like a curtain around it and anchored at the bottom of the tank? They must have done this at the factory with the tank open, then folded the top flaps of the tank down and sealed it. Interesting and great stuff!
    Edit: I wonder if the new reproduction tanks come with the factory disc/screen and pickup tube? Probably not. 
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    My next move is to install an electric pump near the tank activated from a dash switch as I vapor locked twice last year.  This new gas is more volatile and vapor locks quicker and the new gas running the engine hotter doesn't help either.  Then a plastic filter downstream from the pump. 
  • Get a few two litre bottles of regular Coke A Cola and poor in tank ,let sit overnight then empty and rinse with clean water .