1928 Essex Sudan

Hey guys I am new to this forum and very new to a 1928 Essex Sudan ...lol This car was giving to me from a close friend. In the process of getting the car home the top was very dry rotten and came apart. I need to know where I can purchase another top or get one made...thanks in advance 

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Sorry to say you won't be able to purchase another top ready to fit.   Do you mane the top material only, or is the woodwork rotten?    If it is just the top then any good   upholsterer-fitter should be able to do this for you in modern vinyl.
  • Both the wood and the top
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Okay, you are going to need a good cabinet-maker/carpenter as well. 
  • Thanks I am just like a little kid on Christmas day....I have alot more question but they will comr latet...
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    1928, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your acquisition.

I'm not 100% sure, but the 1928 Essex may have mostly all-steel construction like the 1929.  That's good, because I believe the only wooden structural parts on a '29 are in the roof.  (Other automotive brands used wooden framing throughout the body, well into the early 1930's.)

I would suggest you contact others who are knowledgeable about the '28's.  They can possibly tell you what's involved in re-topping the sedan and in repairing (or completely replacing) the roof rails.  You, or a woodworker in your area, may be able to do the woodwork.   You may be able to apply the top material (which will be a sort of vinyl) yourself.

What you really need to do is to evaluate what you feel about the car.  Do you intend to fix it up and keep it?  To "flip" it?  Do you have the mechanical skills necessary to tinker with this car yourself?  Or (alternately) do you have the money to pay someone to fix it up?  Do you have a real interest in going forward with this project?  Such a project can be very challenging but also rewarding.  There are a lot of people who can offer you advice, and you will learn a lot in the process.   But it will take time and money.  You  should give this some thought before proceeding! 
  • Well today I fire up my new toy 1928 Essex with no problem. Listen to it run ....me and my buddy both smiling like a kids at a playground. So since I know the engine is running good  I will start working on the roof and the seats any ideas or tips will be very appreciated....I can't wait to drive up down the road...Told my son today this car will stay in family my Grandkids will love me for this
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Great to hear.   I have had my 1928 Essex for 64 years.   Unfortunately my son who was keen on getting the car died last year, so I have to look for someone who can care for it once I am gone.  
  • Hey sorry for your lost we dont expect your kid to pass before you do. Again sorry for your lost. So you said that you have 1928 Essex also I would love to see some pictures of the pattern of the way the wood goes alone with the canvas top any help from anyone would be nice. Thanks 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I did an article many years ago on the wood patterns, so I'll see if I can find it and post it.
    Geoff 
  • Thanks
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    where are you located?
    You may be near some one wit some one who can help.
    I am in Michigan__
  • Sorry just saw your comment I am in Alabama ...
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    Nice area, just too far.
    I may have some helpful info, if you call
    517-2 six 3-  3  six  six  6
    others have had to construct roof bows etc.
    I can describe some efforts they have used.
    U may not need a cabinet maker.
  • Left a voice message on your phone 251 six 5 six 40 two two
  • 1928Essex said:
    Well today I fire up my new toy 1928 Essex with no problem. Listen to it run ....me and my buddy both smiling like a kids at a playground. So since I know the engine is running good  I will start working on the roof and the seats any ideas or tips will be very appreciated....I can't wait to drive up down the road...Told my son today this car will stay in family my Grandkids will love me for this

That makes two “IT’s ALIVE!” Moments this month! 
    I fired up my new 1929 a few weeks ago. It’s great to see other Super Sixes come out of the woodworks and put on the road!

You probably already know but be sure to oil your distributor and generator before you run it much. 
    I just recently learned they have a wet clutch too. 
  • Thanks 
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    Is this what you are looking for?
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    Geoff said:
    I did an article many years ago on the wood patterns, so I'll see if I can find it and post it.
    Geoff 

Geoff, I found this article of yours in my files
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Thank you Alistair, you have saved me the time going back over the old articles!
  • Thanks guys for everyone help