Headlamp rings

Looking for good till perfect headlamp rings for my 1940 Hudson project. Got 4 ring but not in good shape, broken and lot of dents. Because The rings are die cast its too expensive to restore and rechrome. My machine company got me an offer for making new from a brass block but approx $1200 for 2 is tooooo high. Have someone 2 rings for me??

Comments

• barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Would be cheaper to get them made from good aluminium or another material. I like to see club members having a go at reproducing parts.
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    The 1940 didnt have the triangles on them if you had them replatted they could grind them off if you wanted 
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    The difficulty in replating any pot metal part is the pits which may be worse than how they appear before stripping.  As any plating business will tell you the pits need to be cleaned out then copper coated then silver solder to fill then sand smooth before recoppering then polishing and plating.  It is pretty time consuming to repair the pits which translates into $$$.  I did a lot of this in conjunction with the plater and when it got to the headlight rings which were in similar condition to these it was not worth the time or money.  They are painted the same as the fenders, not authentic but look just fine.  These look pretty nice but a long way to go to sparkle like new.  Just my experiences with plating
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    And good luck with trying to silver solder pot metal.  it usually blows up as soon as you put the torch to it. 
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    The silver solder is 98/2 or something like that as recommended by the plating company, I would need to look at the package and it does not blow up the pot metal if done with soft flame.  If that were not possible how would the plating shops restore old pot metal parts?
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Ever notice when ever someone need parts for their vechial  they show up on ebay
    Must be the Hudson gods looking over us?
  • The silver solder is 98/2 or something like that as recommended by the plating company, I would need to look at the package and it does not blow up the pot metal if done with soft flame.  If that were not possible how would the plating shops restore old pot metal parts?
    Muggy weld 
    its a low temperature solder that can be used to fill pits on pot metal. 

• BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    With the prices the guys on fleebay are asking for Hudson parts you’d think they were a Duesenberg or Delahaye. I’d say it’s more like the Hudson devil popping up.
  • 2manyprojects
    2manyprojects Expert Adviser
    i have a very nice set for a 39 country club FOR SALE.  they look similar to the 40 and are shiny ready to install.
  • Could you send few pics?