'51 Hornet Update

So after freeing up the seized motor, replacing the aluminum head with the cast iron head, I re-installed the ignition system and discovered I had no spark. So I replaced the cap, rotor, points and condenser and I have to say, that little clip that holds the vacuum advance arm onto the post inside the distributor must be legendary in Hudson circles. That thing went flying across the work bench and it was a miracle I found it. Looks like a tiny square hair pin that would love to fall down inside the distributor or on removal, go airborne never to be seen again. Can you buy those things? Anyways, I put the distributor in and bingo, I had spark (thank you Ken U-Tex). Hooked up a gravity feed fuel system and BOOM, it fired up! Lottsa smoke and a rusted out exhaust system but engine sounded pretty good for sitting and not being fired for 35 years! I only ran it for about 20 seconds because I haven't put the radiator back in. Question: how do I know what my oil pressure and coolant temp reading are, if and when I can get the engine up to normal operating temperature? I looked and couldn't find any 6 volt auto gauges for sale. Do they make 6 volt oil/temp/gen for these old cars? Thanks. 

Comments

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    I would get a set of mechanical guages and senders. Get a volt meter, not amp meter.
  • That's a good idea. TY
  • Ha ha suffered the same fate with that damn clip never to be seen again. Ended up using a 2.5mm e clip. Perfect
  • Get a digital temperature gun.  It can idle (idle only) as long as the temp stays under 180.  Listen to the motor,  if it squeaks or taps hard (like metal to metal) shut it off and check for oil circulation.  Enjoy the joy
     in bringing back a frozen motor ?