'39 will only go into first and reverse

7XPacemaker
7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
I can't figure why the car will only go into first and reverse. Any ideas? Even with the car not running, it still won't go.. Maybe this is why the car was parked years ago..

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited August 2020
    Until someone responsible enters the conversation, I'll hazard some guesses:
    1).  Linkage (possibly the cable portion, not the lever)
    2).  One of the shift rail lock rods is out of adjustment (vertical bar on each side of transmission)
    3).  Do you have the proper amount of Hudsonite?
  • 7XPacemaker
    All good questions! I called Hedley Bennett. He said it is probably in the cable. I guess I’ll be pulling the floor pan in the next couple of days..
  • Val
    Val Member
    Be sure to grease the new cable if you replace it. I am generous with in my 39
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You have two options - adjust the cable so it shifts the selector lever on top of the transmission correctly,  or replace the lid with a '34-'38 one and convert to floor shift. 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Oh, and check the  detent interlock adjustment.  It may not be lifting the  lock plate high enough on the 2nd- top side. 
  • 7XPacemaker
    edited August 2020
    Wow! I have a laundry list to look for and some great advice! Thanks everyone. I will report back on my findings!
    i am going to study the cable adjustment first because the car has sat outside so many years. I’m guessing that something isn’t right with the cable adjustment but have a lot of other stuff to look at..
  • 7XPacemaker
    Well, I couldn’t wait. I tore the floor pan out and removed the cable. It was frozen in place. After a few minutes and a little bit of help, it freed up. I hope to reassemble everything tomorrow but am meeting some Hudson folks at one o’clock. Thanks again guys!