3 d printed Marvel V

rusty_apache
rusty_apache Member
edited August 2020 in Parts & Pieces
My dream car is idling like a Davis built sewing machine! 

I found a few tiny cracks and slight “swelling” in the spacer block that is bolted in next to the air valve, which was causing the valve to stick so I carefully removed just enough pot metal to prevent it from sticking.   This is very disconcerting so I spoke with HV3D about scanning the components and 3-D printing a carb body so that I may set the original aside and let it slowly decompose! 

They seem as interested in preserving automotive history as we are! There’s really not much of a setup fee, but once they have the scans they can print up a Marvel V carb body for anyone for somewhere in the vicinity of $1000. 

My headlight and throttle levers are also in decent condition so I could possibly send them along to be scanned as well, if anyone is interested in having a set of levers printed up let me know. 

Comments

• Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    The Marvel Carb rebuild book specifies a space of 5 thousands clearance between air valve lip and idle jet block.

• Hans said:
    The Marvel Carb rebuild book specifies a space of 5 thousands clearance between air valve lip and idle jet block.

Thanks Hans,
    For that and the proper terminology!
    I believe it also says that it must be replaced if there is excessive wear. Another good reason to have these pieces of Unobtainium reproduced!

I should have stuck a feeler gage in there and checked it. I simply removed metal at the small area where the swelling occurred, just to even it out. This car is like a time capsule with very little wear so I am confident that it is within specification. Before I send it out I will double check. 
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    It will operate with a much wider clearance with out noticeable problems.

• Good to know! I panicked a little when I read that.