Removal of brake drum with slide hammer?

I've used standard brake drum pullers for the past 50 years.  But when the drum's really stuck, this process can be quite an arduous process.  

I'm curious: has anyone had any better success with a slide hammer-style puller?  Seems like the pounding would shake the drum loose in a way that the constant force of a standard drum puller would not.

Comments

• I can vouch for the impact wrench on the puller.  It was made getting the drum off exceptionally easy.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Method A. Drum puller with socket and long handle. It works
    Method B. Drum puller with socket and rattle gun. Works very quickly with minimal effort.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    For Jon's enlightenment:   When using the correct hub puller the tension is between the hub and the axle.  If using a slide hammer the impact is on the inner bearing, as Ken says.   
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited August 2020
    Broken beatings makes for missed destinations???
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Geoff, thanks for explaining why the slide hammer isn't good for this.

However, a question about the traditional pullers.

In order to tighten the puller, one either whales on the "dogbone" or uses a socket (or impact) wrench.  This causes the brake drum to want to rotate (in the direction that the dogbone or wrench is being turned.  One cannot prevent turning by engaging the brake (in which case the drum won't come off).

I believe that leaves only the option of putting the car in gear to prevent the drum from turning.  Is all that whaling on the dogbone, good for the rearend gears?  
  • The impact wrench works fast enough that drum rotation is not an issue.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Something (pipe, timber) through the legs of the puller, bearing onto the floor, will stop the drum from turning.
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    Should the transmission be in neutral when striking the dog bone with a sledge?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    It matters not

• Don't know if this is ok or may cause damage....

An old timer said the loosen the lug nuts 1/2 turn and go for a ride.  He said it'll loosen and come off easily.
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    Yeah, I too have heard that about loosening the lug nuts and riding around the block to loosen the drum.  Guess is was done "back in the day."    
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited August 2020
    I think it's the axle nut that gets loosened....isn't it?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Yikes!   Best way to lose a wheel!
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    A common problem is that the shoes are locked to the drum, by rust or a ridge.  The adjuster is rusted and can't be released, and the shoes are held by the anchor pin.  Take the large nut off behind the upper backing plate.  That will release the pin holding the shoes.  The little pins will break, the shoes come off with the drum and you can deal with the adjuster and shoes where you can get at them.