1950 Pacemaker Parking Brake

So the other day I tried to lift my car with my jack and it almost mowed me over. I realized I need to set the parking brake but since my car hasn't seen the road in over 30 years things get stuck. Anyone know how I can get my parking brake working properly? 1950 Pacemaker.
Thanks

Comments

• BUEHLER? Anyone?
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    Does the handle pull up, do the cables and linkages work freely. Knowing some more info like that would be helpful for getting the advice needed.
    Let us know. ...
  • Is the parking brake cable seized up? Or are the brakes just shot after 30 years of sitting? The cable won't do much if the shoes and springs at the drums are not functioning. 

The cables on my pickup were seized when I got it. Once I cleaned up and replaced the shoes, springs, and anything else at the drums that had seen better days I was able to remedy the situation by removing the cables and dripping some Kroil down either end of the cables.

I started with one end, dripped some Kroil down the cable at the end of the sheathing, and hung it overnight so that it would work its way down the cable underneath the sheathing. The next day, flipped them around and did the same thing from the other end.

Lastly, I secured one end of the cable to my bench and started tugging on the sheathing to try and free it. It didn't work, so I repeated the above process one more time, and after that, it did come loose with a little muscle.

Hope that puts you in the right direction. Good luck!
  • Always chock your wheels regardless of whether you have a working parking brake or not. This is a pretty basic safety rule!
  • Thanks everyone. Yes the tires are chocked.
    @ longlivelance, the parking brake cable may be seized up. I know for sure the brakes need to be replace, I was planning on converting them which will be another day. Right now the brake pedal can hit the floor without making a difference.