Vacuum line

JFromm
JFromm Senior Contributor
Have a vacuum line coming out of fuel pump that ends with a right angle connector.  Any idea where I should connect it?  Should it be capped off?  

Second photo show vacuum line that goes to windshield wipers.  

Thanks,
John

Comments

• The fuel pump is a "double action" style.  The vacuum line is supposed to go from manifold to pump to windshield wiper vacuum motor.  The pump helps maintain vacuum for operation of the wipers when the engine is running at low-vacuum conditions (like driving uphill or accelerating).

See the "copper colored" line coming out from under the carburetor to the fuel pump.  Not seen is the hose from the fuel pump snaking to the wiper vacuum motor.

• JFromm
    edited August 2020
    Reattaching pictures. This is a 1954 Jetliner with twin H 
  • JFromm

• JFromm
    Since my wipers work, where does the line in picture 1 go to? Picture 2 line goes to wiper. Is line in picture 2 factory or did someone improvise?
  • eddiehudson
    eddiehudson Senior Contributor, Member
    Take the vacuum line off #2 and put it on #1 ( the output on the fuel pump) Run another vacuum line from the fuel pump inlet to #2 (the manifold vacuum)  The reason it was bypassed is the vacuum booster on the pump might be bad. 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I thought that the vacuum line from the fuel pump (that is, the vacuum pump portion of the fuel pump) went to a T fitting.  The vacuum line from the manifold went to the other side of the T fitting.  Then, the line from the third side of the T went to the wiper motor.
    Normally (with no double action fuel pump) the vacuum line would run directly from the manifold to the wiper motor.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Sorry, they run in the same line Jon.  
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Geoff:  so, the line from one side of the vacuum pump (on the double acting fuel pump) goes to wiper?  The line from the other side, goes to the manifold?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Correct

• JFromm
    Thanks for all the help, but I wonder that since the wipers work great,could I just cap off the loose vacuum line?   
  • Yes.  You could do that with no issue.