Tire size

Rocket
Rocket Senior Contributor
Could some one tell me if a 600x16 inch radial tire will fit in the side mount of my 36 Terraplane I had the hoops changed over they are now 4 1/2 inches wide I know a radial tire is wider then the bias tire Thanks.

Comments

• dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    edited August 2020
    It also depends on which 6" by 16 radial.  It looks like the average is about 5" in tread width and 6 to 6.5" in section width.  I'll look at my 34T this afternoon; I never got around to putting on the radial spare (I had to source a 16" rim first - only got 4 wire 16s for the car to swap from 17s - finally found an artillery 16 for the spare).  That my tell you something, but maybe not the whole story; my spare hoop was made for a 17" bias ply tire.  
    Bias ply 600X16s are tread width of just over 4 to 4.6" and section width 5 to 6-1/4".
  • dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    For a 34T side mount spare 17" hoop over a 6X16 radial; looks like it will be problematic.  It goes over the tire OK, but it then needs to go over the lip of the face flat side-piece; looks like the hoop is not wide enough to go over the tire and also the side piece - would have to grind off the hoop lip on the hood side to cheat it outward, or something.  Solution for me: put the 17" bias tire back in the side mount and put the 16" radial spare in the trunk.

As happens many times on this forum; there is probably an immediate lack of interest after posting.
  • Rocket
    Thank you so much looks like I will have to put bias tires in my side mounts and put a radial tire in the trunk I do not want to lose the look of my dual side mounts.
  • dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    edited August 2020
    Dual side mounts?  Nice.  I only have the one; two are nice for the looks of it. Looking on the internet, it seems that side mount spares were rare on the 36T cars (standard on pickups).  I only saw one picture showing a driver's side (our driver's side) side mount on a 36T, but I see it is a RHD car in New Zealand.  So, only 2 pictures of 36T cars with side mount spares, and none for sure with dual side mounts.  Are the dual side mounts a super-rare thing on the 36T?  How about making it your avatar picture on the forum?
    As for "the look," that is why I could only get the four 16" wires for my 34T - the guy hot-rodded a 33ET and put aluminum rims on it and wanted to keep the wire spare mounted "for looks" (no, it does not make any sense to me, but it doesn't have to).
    The hoops could be put on radials with slight modifications, I think - but not worth it for me.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    I was shopping for radials for a 35 with side mounts recently.
    I fitted the motor cycle guards on dead 16" tires that I have and figured I wanted a tyre with an OD of 680mm (26 3/4") plus or minus 1/4". 

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Bob have you checked out 600R16LT  radial light truck tyres?
  • Original  on survivor Hudson 1934 Englebert made in Belgium 6.25X16
  • dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    FYI; despite my pessimistic view back in August, my brother messed around with it and was able to fit the old 17" side-mount bias spare hoop and face cover onto the 16" radial with no problem on a 34T - if that helps at all... likely does not, since that was not really what you were trying to do.  
  • Rocket
    Thanks for all the replys I have the front and rear wheels widened already and we are going to see if one of the new mounted radial tries will fit into the side mount fender I may not be able to use the tread cover or face cover but that will be ok I will post the results when I get that far.