Freeway driving in a prewar car

Val
Val Member
Do any of you that have the old 212 six or 175 six in your cars do any freeway driving? I want to take my car down old 66 but need to drive about 45 miles of freeway to do this. 

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I guess it depends upon which "freeway" you speak of.  In the Washington, DC area, we have a nightmare we call "the Beltway" but it's so crowded that the top speed is only 60-65 mph.  This I can manage in my '37 (with the help of an overdrive transmission).  Of course, 4-6 lanes of 60 mph traffic moving bumper to bumper, can be hair-raising even in a modern vehicle.  In an 83-year-old car it requires absolute concentration and lightning reflexes.
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    I don’t have an overdrive. My 212 has 4:56 gears. I have a 4:11 that I will put in after I get it roadworthy. That will have to be good enough with the little 175...
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    edited August 2020
    I seem to recall some years ago our Chicago-Milwaukee tech advisor, Gus Souza, telling us the Hudson 212 was not really meant for sustained high speed travel.  As a member of the Illinois Route 66 Association for over 30 years I can tell you that in the Chicago area you have about five or six miles of Interstate 55 to travel to get from one section of the "Mother Road" to another (LaGrange to Joliet).  So, you wouldn't have to travel too long with the old "splasher six."  If you travel during peak rush hour times in the morning or afternoon, I-55 can be so backed up that keeping up with the traffic isn't an issue.  Around St Louis you have it a bit easier.  I'd recommend taking the later, about 1940s, alignment of 66 around the north and west sides of the city.  This'll mean less Interstate to travel over the Mississippi river and take you through a relatively nicer part of the area (don't forget to stop in at Ted Drews for a frozen custard!).   
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I found 55 m.p.h. was a reasonable speed to travel in my '35 Terraplane.   Certainly though it would be uncomfortable in a packed freeway like you have over there.   However, careful driving, and perhaps appeal to other peoples sense of humour may pay off like a sign in the back saying "Please run, passing out"  or "Constipated, can't pass anything".   
  • Saw a Ford model A on the freeway (110km speed limit) with a metal sign above the number plate in red stating "speed limited 75km) and people were quite happy to pass around it. 
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    Simple answer - move to where I live on the Isle of Wight (United Kingdom).
    We have only 1/2 mile of separated 2 lane road and no road where it's truly safe to go over 50 !
    Ideal old car country if it wasn't for all the moderns around !

• Val
    Val Member
    Thank you all for you comments, I have an overdrive so reaching speeds of 55 -60 and 65 is very real. I have driven it to Doug Wildricks from the ST louis area and back twice at 55 60 but I didn't take the freeway.  I'm looking at 64 into St Louis and connect with 44 going west. Like I said its about 45 miles and then I would get off. I definitely would have to avoid any rush hour times.  If I can find another route that would be be preferable I Guess just get in the right lane and drive it.  
  • Val - I drove my '39 112 from St. Louis to Cincinnati on the freeway. No overdrive so it wants to go 50-55 mph. I did have a guy following me in a modern car. It wasn't really any problem. It did take all day to go the 350 miles. 
  • I drove my 1919 Essex quite a bit on the So. Cal. freeways. It would run comfortably at 65 mph for hours on end. I think the longest trip was about 250 miles each way... Leave lots of stopping distance.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Good to know Mike, 54 coupe, also good to hear, and I will leave plenty of room in front of me. As I imagine lots of folks will pass me as they zip on by at 80 85.  
  • Went to the Milwaukee National meet, many years ago, (story was written up in WTN) with my '46 Super Six convert.  Detroit to Ludington Michigan, took the ferry across the lake.  Home, drove all the way from Milwaukee to Detroit, expressway all the way.  That engine had never been apart.  Didn't break any speed records.  No O.D. either.
  • Val
    Val Member
    MickeyB, WOW, nice! Took my 39 Six out last night drove her about 10 miles along the freeway around STL, steady 60 63 mph. The only issue I will face is heavy city traffic. Mainly semi trucks on tight curves.  
  • 7XPacemaker
    I was told that Hornet front brakes are a bolt on upgrade over the original brakes. I would think that hornet front brakes would feel like disc brakes on my 2500 pound 112..
  • Old Fogey UK
    I think the worst thing about driving an old car in traffic is when you're driving at the same speed as everyone else and maintaining a safe gap from the vehicle in front when up behind you comes Macho Man.
    He sees it as an affront to his virility to have to drive behind an old car.
    He's just got to get past you even though it only puts him behind the car in front of you.
    He accelerates out and has to cut into the nice space you have in front, slamming on his brakes and causing you a minor coronary as you try to avoid tail-ending him.
    Macho Man probably is an international phenomenon and not just restricted to English idiots.

• 7XPacemaker
    There are many "Macho Men" in the Washington DC area! When I was younger, I was driving my brand X truck home when a Macho man with DC plates driving a mustang convertible came flying up and cut in front of me, causing me to almost eat the steering wheel. Now, I traveled that sectioned of highway everyday and he was in a rush to get somewhere on that Memorial day weekend. I promptly went into the passing lane and passed him with my foot all of the way to the floor. I knew something that he didn't- there was always a State police car that sat in the median about 1 1/2 miles ahead. I had my truck doing around 105 mph and he was on my butt the whole time. I got close to where I knew the trooper would be and promptly went into the slow lane and slowed down to 65 MPH. The mustang FLEW by me at well over 100 mph only to be greeted by the nice State trooper around the corner. Needless to say, he was pulled over in less than a 1/2 mile. I was passed by several contractor trucks that blew the horn at me laughing their butts off and giving me the "thumbs up". I still chuckle about that every Memorial day weekend. Two wrongs did feel like a right that day....
  • Val
    Val Member
    Ha ha good story 7X, yeah we have them here in STL too. So I'll just do my 60 mph and stay in the below lane. Give myself plenty of distance ( and driving that below it shouldn't be to hard to do) and hope the kindness of others
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    They have them here in New Zealand too, but for the ultimate in Kamikaze machos, go to Australia!!!
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Great story 7X!!   Believe it or not, here in Montana it’s hard to just get drivers up to the posted speed limit.  I’ve never seen anyone pulled over for speeding in 10 years of living here. It’s crazy but typically people drive 10-15MPH UNDER THE POSTED SPEED LIMIT, they have no sense of urgency in anything they do or drive!  

The main 2 lane road I drive from home to anywhere I need to go is well known as Geriatric Lane!  What makes this frustrating is that there is absolutely no where to pass “legally” the entire 20 miles to downtown.  Once I get my 37 Coupe actually on the road, I’m going to enjoy blowing a few doors off in my 80+ year old Hudson!
  • Old Fogey UK
    There seems to be something about finding themselves behind an old car that really winds up some of these people.
    It's not just overtaking. They pull out of side roads in front of you - without any thoughts about your braking distance - so they won't have the "humiliation" of being behind you .
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The probability of such appalling behaviour is inversely proportional to the size of their willy. 
  • Val....I'd get a couple of those red flashing lights that you sometimes see on the rear of bicycles.  They are small but very bright...and they attract attention so it might reduce the chance of a rear end accident.
  • Val
    Val Member
    HHHHMMMM......not a bad idea, thanks Kid
  • MickeyB said:
    Went to the Milwaukee National meet, many years ago, (story was written up in WTN) with my '46 Super Six convert.  Detroit to Ludington Michigan, took the ferry across the lake.  Home, drove all the way from Milwaukee to Detroit, expressway all the way.  That engine had never been apart.  Didn't break any speed records.  No O.D. either.
    My 36 Terraplane won the long distance award at Milwaukee National in 81 when my dad owned it. 940 miles one way 1880 round trip. Yes we got the,"you're nuts driving a splasher that far," comments. Speed was 45-50 mph in those 55mph days. 
  • Think of the Oklahomans that crossed the desert to reach California during the depression, driving splashers! 
  • railknight
    edited August 2020
    Just like the Joad family in the John Steinbeck novel, "The Grapes of Wrath," traveling in their "ancient overloaded Hudson" mostly Route 66 from Oklahoma to California during the 1930s dustbowl and depression.
  • Old Fogey UK
    I remember reading some years back that the Hudson car used in the 1939 movie  had been rediscovered in a Hollywood warehouse.
     I wonder what has happened to it since then ?
  • railknight
    Here's a story about the "Grapes of Wrath" Hudson:  https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/features/grapes-of-wrath-hudson-part-of-film-history
  • Apparently he built it into a speedster replica and it sold for $55,000 at Barret Jackson.
    https://archive.nytimes.com/query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage-9505EFD6143EF932A05752C0A9669D8B63.html
  • Old Fogey UK
    What a shame it didn't get restored as the car Henry Fonda drove in the movie.
    That really would have been something.
  • I happen across the Grapes Of Wrath Hudson when I was killing some time in Springfield  Missouri earlier this year 

I was happily surprised and got a few good reference pictures 

I don’t remember the name of the museum but it had a great collection of rare cars