Can a Hudson do a Burnout?

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
I was looking at some info on Ken Cates web site, (thank you Ken!) and ran across the horsepower & torque ratings for the 1952 Hudson engines.  Naturally I started to compare things and being a lover of the straight 8 engines, I couldn’t help but notice how well it stood up against the 232 & 262 engines on horsepower & torque.  Naturally it made me think of my 212ci 6cyl engine, which got me wondering, can any of these engines do a burnout?

Thinking back to my first car a 54 Chevy with a 235ci 6cyl, it was a gutless wonder & could only spin a tire in the water when going around a corner.  So pathetic!  Since my 6 cylinder 37 Hudson is a fair distance off from getting engine repairs done & 1st gear working, I can’t rightly go out & find out.   So please fill me in on our old engines ability to do a burn out!

Comments

• Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    edited August 2020
    both times I tried, once with my 47 C 8 and once with my Hornet powered 49  coupe, I broke/twisted the axle shaft. Decided beating the guy in the next lane was more satisfying than a burn out.
  • Ric West IN
    Hmm  what did I do to get the large blank space??
  • You were thinking   Ric

• 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    Had the 7x engine in a 47 coupe. That thing would definitely rip through some tires. The pacemaker coupe would bunny hop as the springs wrapped up.. You should have seen Gus Souza’s Jet doing burnouts at the Cleveland national back in the 80’s..
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Hmm  what did I do to get the large blank space??
    Removed now Ric. If I were a betting man I'd say that you leaned on the space bar whilst contemplating :)
  • Ric West IN
    Thanks  Paul for your assistance and ,I suspect correct diagnosis.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Back in the fifties I had 35 Terraplane Coach with a hot '42 H8 engine squeezed in. Had a lot of fun out dragging new Olds 88s and such.  On one occasion I asked it for bit of showoff, and it easily smoked the tires.  Only did it that once  . . . I was paying for the tires!