HUDSON 112 assembled from CKD in UK in July 1938

Comments

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    tomrue said:
    Type your comment? There are 25 1939 Hudson Six'es and I only know of 3. WOW

These figures need to be treated with some caution of course :)

When I worked with a really helpful chap at the DVLA there was some email exchange between us as to how best extract the details and we needed to rely on the VIN , Make and Type being correct.

The 112 numbers looked about right to me based on what I was aware of and there have been at least 3 others that "turned up" in recent years.

As for the rest, of course you do need people to update details which doesn't always happen but I took them as being , sort of, there or thereabouts.

To me the numbers for "Hudson Custom Country Club Eight" were interesting, I knew of one that rotted into the ground quite a while ago so the fact that there were potentially 6 others still out there was good.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    Any luck on the UK numbers of 1934/5 cars, Paul ?
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Any luck on the UK numbers of 1934/5 cars, Paul ?
    I have them somewhere nicely filed away , all I need to do know is remember where I filed them!

As soon as I dig them out I'll post them David. I tried to get the spread across the years but the older stuff wasn't easy because of the serial numbers used
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    So this is from 2015 and was based purely on the serial number ranges so need to be treated with some caution

Model based on Serial Number alone Licenced Sorn
    1934 LL Special / LLU Deluxe 0 0
    1934 LT Special / LU Deluxe 6 0
    1934 LTS Challenger 1 0
    1935 53 GH - Big Six 1 0
    1935 54 HT - Special Eight 15 1
    1935 55 HU - Deluxe Eight 0 0
    1935 56 HHU - Custom 8 0 0
    1935 58 HUL - Deluxe 8 0 0
  • Old Fogey UK
    Thank you, Paul.
    As I said, I thought there were around a dozen or so.
    It's surprising that, in contrast, there are so many late 30s Hudsons in the UK.
    Maybe WW2 put paid to the earlier cars ! I have a pic of a 34 Hudson converted into an armoured car in 1940. If I can locate it, I will post it on here.
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    It would be interesting to see what figures there are in terms of cars that came into the UK and Ireland around that time. I will reach out to the Railton Club as I believe they have some documentation from the factory
  • Old Fogey UK
    It would be interesting to see what figures there are in terms of cars that came into the UK and Ireland around that time. I will reach out to the Railton Club as I believe they have some documentation from the factory
    They've got some interesting photos of the UK Hudson plant if you can talk them into copying them to you.
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    I've sent an email to the Chairman :)

• Guys:  The cylinder head on my 1938 Hudson 112 has developed a crack, and I've put an ad on the Parts page.  I thought I'd try here as well.  In essence, I need help, please in locating a suitable replacement head for my series 89 inline flathead 6, with 3.48 litre engine.  John
  • Interesting subject. Curious about the number of cars assembled in Belgium?
  • Yes, and wasn't there a Hudson assembly plant in Germany too? Sweden had one in 1938-1939, but a few years later it ended up on the Proclaimed List of Certain Blocked Nationals so HMCC had to stop doing business with them.
    I wonder if any these plants assembled Hudsons for other European countries as well, or if all countries that didn't have their own plant got their cars straight from Detroit?
  • Old Fogey UK
    Hudson had a plant in South Africa. After WW2, they got a subcontract from Austin to assemble Austin A40 cars for the African market.
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser

• Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    This one followed me home last week in NewZealand not sure what I am going to do with it.  I told my wife I brought it for her
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    You need to buy Dot a spanner or two!!

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Looks like a reasonable front grille as well on it :)
  • Old Fogey UK
    Trevor J said:
    This one followed me home last week in NewZealand not sure what I am going to do with it.  I told my wife I brought it for her
    Obviously your wife isn't Welsh (like mine), otherwise you'd be missing all your appendages with an excuse like that ! :D
  • Old Fogey UK
    Trevor J said:
    Obviously your wife isn't Welsh (like mine), otherwise you'd be missing all your appendages with an excuse like that ! :D
    However, she wouldn't object to the Morris 1000 in the corner of your garage, Trevor.  :)
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    No Morris minors in my garage that was taken in the previous owners garage all the cars in my garage are either Hudson or Nash cars most are coupes
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    Its actually quite a good car with zero rust apparently all the mechanical work has been done but who knows and yes my wife is very tolerant
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser

• Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    some of my garage no morris minor
  • VicTor Z
    VicTor Z Senior Contributor
    Wow! Great Pic of "Some of your GARAGE".
  • Old Fogey UK
      Trevor J said:
    Its actually quite a good car with zero rust apparently all the mechanical work has been done but who knows and yes my wife is very tolerant

So's mine really.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Trevor J said:
    some of my garage no morris minor

Looking at your garage and all the stuff on the walls, Trevor, you wouldn't happen to have a 34 or 35 Hudson hubcap hanging up that you'd be prepared to sell me, please, or trade for a '36 hubcap ?
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    It depends on what the inside of the cap is like.The Hudson 8 coupes are the same size as the Terraplane hub caps but just have the word Hudson on them to my knowledge the sedan hub cap has a bigger centre and I could probably help with that.  I have just arranged for a chap in the north Island to make and fit some new stainless steel skins on my 35 Hudson 8 coupe Hubcaps so I don't have any available for a coupe
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    And just for the record I collect stuff to stop others from hoarding it
  • Old Fogey UK
    Shall I send you a pic and the dimensions of what I'm looking for ?
     I have 3 good hubcaps on the car but the fourth is so dinged it looks planished. The only spare I have is for a 36 and the inside rim isn't wide enough to fit over the clips on the wheel and the lettering is different.
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    yep that would be good. PM me with your details.  I have a 34 Hudson 8 sedan I'm using as a parts car so should be able to help
  • Old Fogey UK
    OK, thank you.
    Will do tomorrow.